+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very simple and VERY effective Caddis Pupa soft hackle

Blog Entries

Hi. I add no weight. This is an emerging pupa pattern. I usually stand mid stream….cast downstream near the stream bank, and let the fly “swing” in the current as that current takes the fly directly downstream from me. I do the same with the other side of the stream.
    The trout basically hook themselves.
    If I see a surface rise, a few quick false casts to dry it and I let it float into the rise form as a cripple on the surface…..another reason it’s on a light wire hook with no weight.

The emerging Caddis pupa are rising on the way to the surface. This, the casting of it into the slower water near the bank. It will sink a bit and as the current takes it downstream, it will behave like the natural as it will ascend towards the surface. Once it reaches the end of your line, directly below you, it will pulsate as the current moves it around….up and down.

Looks like I need to rethink how I fish a caddis pupa fly. I have fished them like most of my other nymphs, dredging the bottom.

I do have an October caddis that I swing down and across for sea run cutthroat.

Thanks for the tip Byron.

Scg

Blog Entries

Thank you!

Just saw this Byron. Nice looking fly but one question-what is dazzlewire? I've never heard of it.

Blog Entries

Hi, and thank you!

I was watching Gary LaFontaine tie his “sparkle patterns” one evening. I really liked the material he was using. I asked what it was and he replied “It’s an Antrim yarn”.

Well, I’ve es chef great innovators like him up close before. I don’t dnt want to try to replicate Gary’s patterns with any old “Antron yarn”. So I asked if he might be more specific for me. He said “Just go to a Ben Franklin Store and ask for “Dazzleaire”. So I did, and the results were just like his.
    I then bought all they had at the store.

Now, I don’t think they carry it anymore, but I have enough for myself. I bought the skeins that have multi-colored variegated strands so I can get just the color I want.
    The last time I ran out of it, I found a guy on eBay who sold me a number of skeins.

Long story, short, it is a tri-lobal Antron material. I wanted the same thing Gary was using. Perhaps any such Antron will suffice, but I found Dazzleaire perfect for my purposes.

Hope this helps????

Blog Entries

Found this on the Etsy web page:

Thanks Byron. I thought it looked like antron but that name threw me.

+ Reply to Thread