+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late August 2021

Hybrid View

Default Late August 2021

Channel Cats...they like Woolly Buggers. Stopped at a lake on my way to the Missouri River. Missed a strike, so threw right back in the same spot:

Caught some bluegills and a green sunfish too. Saw some huge Bighead Carp. Tried landing flies in their suction zone as they fed on plankton...no luck.
    Went to the river to fish off the channelization rocks. Waded through a lotta poison ivy in the woods along the river. Had long pants on.

Got out on the rocks. MO River rising! Don't get stranded out there!

Saw Silver and Bighead Carp, Grass Carp, Common Carp, and gar. Typical MO fish. Got a couple Shortnose Gar to eat the fly, and one Grass Carp.
    Saw this as I was leaving.:

Wasn't sure what it was...thought it looked like a canine, but wasn't as big as I'd expect for a fox or average dog, and a longer snout... Looked it up when I got home....Oppossum!
    Went to the creek next. I started fishing my way downstream...I didn't get as far as I wanted to go...The 95 degree temps were getting to me, and my feet were sore from my hikes. Gave it up in short order, but not before I saw this very small (~10"?) gar trying to eat a fish it had caught that looked to big for it to swallow.

Caught a gar and 2 more Grass Carp and had a couple rush the indicator and try to eat it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

These pictures have nothing to do with fishing...just some pics behind our place. The pics are poor quality...shot through windows, etc etc.
    This hen Wild Turkey with her 2 young ones, I took pictures of them before...they have grown from chicks to nearly full grown in 2 months! I was glad to see them...I wondered if the 2 chicks would survive the urban jungle...cats and dogs, etc.

I got my wife a Hummingbird Feeder for Christmas....Its getting used!

My wife also puts out chips, bread, bird seed, etc. I think we are making it WAY to easy on the local squirrel population. They don't even try anymore.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice pics David - Really enjoy your posts!
    iaflyfisher

Quote Originally Posted by iaflyfisher View Post
    Nice pics David - Really enjoy your posts!
    Thanks, Dale! How's fishing been in Ankeny? Still pretty dry?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

We have been getting some rain lately. 1 1/2" last night. Ponds still pretty grassy/mossy. Most of the normal ponds haven't been real productive. Maybe when it cools down.
    iaflyfisher

A story with pictures, what else could you ask for. I really enjoy your posts Dave.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    A story with pictures, what else could you ask for. I really enjoy your posts Dave.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread