Problem 1: I am lucky enough to have inherited half a dozen Whiting Farm silver or bronze capes and saddles. The hackles are about 10" long, fantastic short hurl, but enormously difficult to wind without twisting. The length makes them unwieldy, and I find the stems stiff and not so easy to manage as a cheapo normal hackle. Has anyone any tips for me??

Problem 2: In the UK brass beads for goldheads are very very expensive in the fishing shops. The come in small packets of about ten beads. I have searched for a cheaper alternative in craft shops etc., but have come up with nothing so far except for either glass or plastic beads which are available in gold, silver and almost every other colour under the rainbow. Great so far. Their problem is of course the weight. I have experimented with lead wire, but I cannot get the balance right. I can of course wind it down the body, but this nulifys the weighted head. Putting the lead around the bead makes an ugly fly. Again any ideas, or can u guys suggest an alternative heavy option which is cheap and obtainable?? I have concidered brass hexagonal nuts, which are available in small sizes. I haven't tried these yet but don't imagine the fish will be too fussy about the odd shape, or will they?

Regards
Mick Porter