+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another dumb question icw leaders

Default Another dumb question icw leaders

What is the purpose or reason for a leader and then tippet?

My 8wt furled leaders looks just as visible as the fly line.....with a 2' tippet?

Why don't I just tie 2' tippet to my fly line?

Sorry....the older I get the more I realize I do not understand all the things I know already......

jim

I would cite two reasons: For dry flies, it's for presentation and visibility. For wets and nymphs, it's visibility. I think

Mark

Another one of those "can-of-worms", i.e., everybody has their own pet answers!

As for me, I do a of of fresh warm water fishing here in the Carolina low country for crappy, bream and L/M bass. If I'm doing big poppers on the surface, especially for larger bass, I'll do a straight mono leader, 6 or 8lb test, and it'll do the trick - L/M bass are not finicky. Even if I get into some coastal saltwater fishing for red drum (spot tails), and going underwater using a clouser minnow or a lefty deceiver, I'll stick to a straight leader, only I'll bump it up to an 8 or 10lb mono - the lengths of these leaders is usually the length of the rod that I'm using, for openers. If windy, I'll shorten the leader. For the little bit more wary crappy/bream, I'll use a 5-6' mono 15 or17lb leader and tie on a 3 or 4' mono 4 or 6lb tippet. Works good for me.

When I get up into the mountains for trout, that's another matter. If I'm going after native wild trout, and I'm using dries, I'll go with a store bought tapered leader (they're expensive!). If I'm going underwater, say with a nymph or a streamer, I'll use that straight 5' mono leader only I'll tie on 3' of 3X fluorocarbon tippet (it's thinner then mono).

Hey, seems to work for the girls I go with!

I have gone to shorter furled leaders. They are 5 ft long. Than way I can use a longer piece of mono for the leader.
    Rick

Thank you all for your posting opinions. I expected to get some harsh comments.....this is good so far.
    Appreciate DaleW taking the time to post all his knowledge icw leaders and such. Good info for me as I just discovered PumpkinSeed sunfish. Wow do they put up a fight!
    Going after some of them tomorrow morning. Not sure what flies to use.....sink or wet....what leader.....etc....
    But thank you Dale for the great info.
    BTW the fly that I discovered them with is the Yeagerburger. Easy to tie. Quite effective. The one I put on was just in frustration of not getting anything.....fishing for bass......and just threw on that all beat up....hackle almost gone......Yeagerburger. The sunfish loved it. I just dangled it on the surface with my rod tip up high and they would take it. Now will try to fish the traditional way.....from a distance....witih a float line and fly.....then perhaps a wet fly.......

I have now read that PumpkinSeeds are very good tasting.

oh......I am going to just tie on some mono at the end of my fly line......for the sunfishies......

jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 08-08-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: adding a clarificartion

+ Reply to Thread