+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trolling motor shafts....how long....can one cut them down.....?

Hybrid View

Default Trolling motor shafts....how long....can one cut them down.....?

I have another question. I wish to equip my very very old boat I am trying to bring back to life....uh.....14' Starcraft deep v.....sorta.

I have read to measure the distance from the top of the bow to the water and for Minn Kota add 20 inches.

Ok...I measure 18 inches and that puts me at 38. I have a 30" one and it is definitely too short.

My goal is to get the most pound thrust in a 12v motor. The bigger the pound thrust the longer the shafts are.

I do not want a lot of shaft sticking up above the bow as I fly fish.

Can one take a 52" or whatever Minn Kota shaft and shorten it to a preferred length"

Custom fit it?

jim

Okay, maybe I'm slow but why add 20" to the trolling motor shaft above the bow? The answer to your question about customizing, is it definitely depends. It can be done but you are going to have to disconnect wires.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I can work with wires ok. I am not sure it is possible for ME to cut down the shaft and refit it to be still good to the head.....or motor. I suppose the best place to cut it shorter is at the head.

I did not explain very well. Different sites say to determine your shaft length....

measure the distance from the top of the bow where it will be mounted....
    add 16 inches to that if a Motorguide
    or
    add 20 inches to that if a Minn Kota.

I measure 18" plus 20 equals 38. I have a 30" Minn Kota and it is not adequate or deep enough. The motor is mostly in the water....but not always. So I need something deeper. 38 puts it lower but I am not confident in that.
    I just watched a youtube on it and that guy said make sure the motor is at least 1 foot under water.....then add the measurement from bow to water......then add the distance you want it to stick up above the bow.....?

THAT comment threw me a little bit. Now I wonder where the head would sit if one just did the Bow to water measurement plus 20"....????

I don't think I want too much shaft sticking up above the bow as I fly fish and wish to keep clutter down....but he meant if you are standing on a deck....you want it up higher to grasp it quickly and easily.

BTW we are talking about Hand tiller....not foot control.

Now I really like the Haswing Black Cayman 12v 48" bow mount 55lbs thrust. But wife says not because it is from China. No place for parts and repairs in the US. Only a warehouse or what ever that ships them out. So getting parts could be very difficult. But all the reviews I have seen are really positive. Nice to be able to control the boat at the bow while at the rear of the boat I think.

I am not really fond of foot control motors. So I have been focusing on hand control.

Anyway....I have used up enough of your precious time already....

tks for commenting

jim

What I been thinking is I want as much power as I can get with a 12v battery....which seems to be 55 max.
    But shaft....?....I could get 52 or 54 inch and cut down to be a good size?
    Can't make it longer very easy....but possible could shorten it.

And I wonder about just a "Pontoon" Minn Kota motor. I think 52" and maybe 55lbs....but no clutter of foot control. Nothing fancy....just a motor with probably the smallest foot print.
    That would alleviate my concerns about having enough space on my bow to mount it....

I looked at a Minn Kota manual and NOWHERE did it give the measurements of the footprint....ie....how much space one needs to mount it at the bow....

so much curiosity about a simple thing......

jim
    incurable optimist
    insatiable curiosity

I'm with the wife on buying American, I think MotorGuides are made in Oklahoma now, they started in Starkville, MS a spin off of the Herschede Hall Clock Company. They were one of my clients where I did fire prevention visits annually or as desired by underwriting. The motors were made by American Bosche in Columbus, MS, where a manager told me MinnKota was able to get a little more power out of their motors. I think a larger company bought out the Motor Guide brand and poor economies did in the clock business, their top of the line was $4000 in the 1980's.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I a pleased with the Minn Kota trolling motor I bought. I bought a 55lb thrust 52" shaft Pontoon model reconditioned. 3 year warranty for $45. Oh...motor $379. 3 year replacement or repair starting from day one. Parts and labor covered with NO deductible and if not repairable will be replaces. I got it because of cost...and the small footprint of a pontoon mount. Now I am wondering if I void the warranty if I cut the shaft down....oh....also pleased I do not have to turn the head around. It is a Bow Mount Pontoon motor. Trying to figure out what deep cycle marine battery to power it....without so much weight. geeze they are heavy

I make God laugh every day. But I try to walk the path he has for me each day.

I have been told one can cut the shaft size down. Now I see mine at the head looks like it simply has a bolt thru it to mount the head. So I guess I can remove the head and cut it to the size I want....drill a new hole in the shaft pipe and mount the head back on. Probably have to shorten the wires.....but.....I bet that doing these things will void my warranty.

+ Reply to Thread