+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which is the best Fish Finder

Hybrid View

Default Which is the best Fish Finder

Hello,
    I have been away for a long time. Don't know if this topic is ever covered.

I would like opinions on Fish Finders on the current market. I read top ten and best reviews and all that jazz. Then go to Amazon to read ratings and answered questions and so far all of them have very negative comments.

I would like to purchase on in the $500 dollar and under range. But cannot find consistent good reviews or one that has no negatives.

I would appreciate any help.

jim

I guess the question would be where are you going to be using it? What type of boat are you going to mount it on? What are you fishing for? Do you want a basic depth/fish finder or one with all the bells and whistles? I have a portable Hummingbird that I used for years before the lodge I go to in Ontario started mounting small Hummingbirds in their boats. Mine is nothing fancy. It gives me the depth of the water, basic bottom detail and symbols for fish. The lodge uses a small Hummingbird with depth in feet or meters, water temp, speed, bottom detail is better you can pick up downed trees, boulders, weeds. Fish show up as a fish symbol or lines. It won't plot your course or tell you where you are on the lake. Hummingbird, Garmin, Lowrance and Raymarine all have decent depth/fish finders in your price range. They all offer a lot more bells and whistles than the basic ones I've used. All seem to get decent in reviews in the 3 to 5 star range.

I appreciate your comments. I guess I am a bit anal about things. I do not need all the bells and whistles. But I always search to get what seems to be the best one.....in a given price range.
    The reviews I have watched or read are very conflicting. I just have a hard time with decisions I guess. I just try not to buy something on impulse or checking things out more.....then regret my purhcase.

I saw a review of a Hook 2 7" I think that got top rating...went to Amazon and ratings torched it I think....

Read about a Garmin Striker 7sv....which should be as good as the Garmin Striker 4 raved about for years. A rating said they have misleading advertising....that something...chirp I think...did not work in all the areas like indicated. Only in one area....

I have not found a fish finder that a majority of consensus have good things to say about it.

What you have is all I want. I used to fly fish for trout only. Now in a different state and the waters near me are bass waters. I simply wish to go out in the ancient boat I am trying to bring back to life.....and cruise with a trolling motor near structure and shorelines and such and find fish.

sorry for length of msg

jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 07-17-2021 at 07:30 PM. Reason: esxtra garble

Most of our fly fishing is on lakes. Our lakes have sharp drop offs and fish run along these breaks. The depth finder sure beats a sounding cord and weight to find these breaks.

I am currently using a Hummingbird 768C w/external GPS. Love it! We troll flies for trout from September until freeze-up and the track features is useful for covering productive water. We mark a waypoint every time we get a fish and before long you have a pretty good picture where the bulk of he fish are hanging out. It shows both track and depth / bottom contour. The GPS has also been useful in finding the ramp when night and fog set in at the same time and you loose all sight of the shore. An 800 acer lake might as well be 8000.

I had a Hummingbird before I installed the 768 that only showed depth. Used it for several years. It has now found a home on my sons boat so it is still going.

I have a Garmin on my Hobie Float Cat that shows depth and water temperature.

Jerry

Just fyi I think my Fishing Buddy 4200 is going to work for me.
    jim

+ Reply to Thread