Thread: The Ever Growing Fly Pattern Index

Threaded View

Default The Ever Growing Fly Pattern Index

Over the course of the last year (or more; I don't honestly remember when I started this undertaking), I have been working to compile a sortable index of just about every fly pattern I could find. It all began after perusing through Scott Patterson's index to all of the SBS's he has on the forum. I thought it was a cool idea but why stop at just this forum? I used his index as a jumping off point and made my own on the format he had already established. I had originally planned to integrate his list via copy/paste but ran into some formatting issues so I had to start at the very beginning of the forum posts and hand-compile every recipe and SBS I could find manually. Once that was done, I moved on to adding patterns from other sites. I still check the forum (usually daily) and add whatever patterns pop up; if it has a recipe, it goes on the index.

The Index currently has over 8000+ patterns cataloged and hot-linked to the respective site in which they were found. Individual patterns may be found with a simple Ctrl+F search or the Type and Style categories can be sorted and filtered to show only patterns of interest (i.e. mayfly dries, attractor nymphs, etc.).

The link for the Index is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing Please look through it and let me know what you think. Any advice or criticism is appreciated as I want this to be as streamlined and easy-to-use as possible. A lot of the categorizing is opinion-based as most recipes don't give much background as far as use or imitation. If anyone runs into a pattern that they feel is categorized incorrectly, let me know and I will take care of it directly. The same goes with broken links to patterns or patterns that may be incorrectly linked or not linked at all. I am constantly adding to the index but if anyone cannot find a specific pattern or have few in mind that they want added, just let me know and I'll throw them in the mix. I still have a ton of websites to go through but I'm always game for looking at new patterns!

Hopefully this can become a helpful one-stop-shop for anyone who ties, whether it be for a recipe for an old standby or simply something to look through in search of that new secret weapon. Hope you all enjoy it!
    Last edited by wyoflyschmidty; 05-30-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Glad I can whip finish because I sure as hell can't double haul...