+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting rabbit hides

Default cutting rabbit hides

I was wondering if there is any simple jigs to cut rabbit hides into strips. I accured quite a few over the years and would like to put them to good use. Cutting one strip at a time is taking forever literally!

Thanks

Poor mans tool to cut hide into strips
    You will need a bolt, lots of washers and a nut and a batch of razor blades.
    Drill hole in razor blades to put bolt through.
    Insert bolt through the blades one at a time and add in washers as spacers inbetween each set of razor blades. Add nut at the end to hold it all together.
    Now you are ready to cut hide into strips.
    You can change the width of the strips by adding or subtracting washers inbetween the blades.

Another tool for cutting is two box cutters taped together.

------------------

Bill

You might check this out....
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004640.html:05c20]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004640.html[/url:05c20]

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

WOW< thanks guys!!! I figured it had to be one of those simple tasks that is just to complex for my head .

I checked out that thread and noticed something about hanging the hides to cut them. I take that is to keep from cutting hair to a minimum?

My wife always loves it when I play with knifes, can't wait till she sees this hehe. Again thanks a ton!

LilHunter,

When you cut your rabbit skin into strips make sure you cut from the back (skin) side. If not you'll have fine rabbit fur drifting all over the place (Does not make for a happy wife.)

REE

lilhunter,

There is another thread[I'll let you find it yourself] that goes into more ways to suspend the hide. You are correct, it's to avoid cutting the hairs and indeed works.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

I did some searching and found one thread that mentioned an embroidery hoop. Is this what you were talkign about? Dunno how many I read but it's been almost nitely now looking. I hate to ask for handouts but a push in the right direction would be awesome if you wouldnt mind. (my wife might sleep better too hehe instead of me typing all nite keeping her up)

That may be the thread...seems like there were several...

Here's what I remember and how I now do it.

The embroidery hoop was mentioned but I haven't tried it...seems too involved...I have seen tyers just hold the hide on their thigh and do it but that's not enough control for me...seemed like ALL the hide wasn't stretched...

What I've come up with is to just secure an end of the hide to "something" with push pins...I've used a 2x4 I've had handy or the wooden top of my old work bench...even tried a bulletin board ...but that didn't hold well...

Also tried clamps...push pins are better...and I even tried clip boards..thought they'd be perfect ..but they weren't...

When you get the whole end of the hide secure it is easy to cut multiple strips with the tools I showed or singles with a single blade...any size ,etc.

orient for crosscut or not...

if RonMT has posted pay attention...he's about as experienced and practical as they come...

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

This is probably the thread you saw and it's the one I meant....here it is to give credit to the guys that helped me.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004249.html:5bf7c]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004249.html[/url:5bf7c]

I haven't tried the seam ripper trick and also find [especially with a nice sharp blade] you can cut just barely all the way through and hardly cut any hair...it does work to tear the last bit but frankly I think cutting through is a tad neater.

I guess I've sort of adopted the Rando method but I hold one end with one hand and cut with the other.

Now I've got to get some of that Koolaid for the white hides....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

+ Reply to Thread