+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breaks My Heart

Hybrid View

Default Breaks My Heart

It breaks my heart that this site isn't more active. I've been a member since 1998, although under a different name. I've learned a great deal, made some awesome friends, and seen a lot of people come and go. Many Kudos to Lady Fisher and JC. I think of them both, often. I've met them both, and had the pleasure of preparing a Dutch oven lasagna dinner for them at one of the Idaho Fish-In's. The first time I met Lady Fisher she hugged me around the neck and kissed me on the cheek. From that day on, I've felt like family.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech,
    I completely agree with you. This site was once a treasure of information. There are still a few who are informative poster on this site, especially in Fly tying. However, the information (menu) on the left side has not been updated in years since Neil reverted to a Face Book site. I guess must of the old regulars have either pasted or lost interest. Every now and then I see a new member, but not many. I also regret that we no longer have well attended Fish Ins. That's where we used to put a face with a name and build friendships. I tried to organize one a couple of years ago, but it was attended by only a very few compared to previous years. Yes, when we last JC and Ladyfisher thing started down hill. Best to you and those still here.
    God Bless America

You guys are right. Sadly, it's just not the same since Jim's passing, then Deanna's. This was a close knit Family and they were Dad & Mom. Also, social media has grown to the extent that close knit groups HAVE divided & diminished.
    I grew very close to Jim & Deanna. My flycasting will never be great (never DID get the double haul), but it has served me well since my personal lesson from Jim at the 2006 Michigan Fish-In. Everytime I make my peanut butter fudge, I think of him as he loved the stuff & I made him plenty of it. Before the 2007 Michigan Fish-In, Jim called me & asked that I stop in Pinconing Mich to get him some extra sharp Pinconing cheese. Deanna was instrumental in my buying a Folstaff & Tilley Hat. She was a sweetheart to just talk to in person OR via a phone call. People like them are NEVER replaced, but I am Blessed to keep both in my memory.
    I'm still checking daily but, like many others, not posting much anymore. Part of that is advancing age, vastly diminished tying skills, & INCREASING Grandkids...9 of 'em now.

FAOL friends, please stay well, enjoy life, check in when able, smile & laugh a lot & God Bless you all

Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Sorry that my attempt to at least keep this site viable has not apparently been as successful as some have hoped. If there is someone among you that would like to take over this site let me know. Over the past 12 years I have spent my own money to keep this site viable, so if there is someone out there that wants to start paying the bills just let me know and they can have their own website.

The Chronicler

Neil, I don't think what they are lamenting was anything you or anyone else could have avoided. No one has spent the hours that Jim Birkholm did keeping this site going since his death. That is not a criticism because you and other administrators have you own lives to live. He could be pigheaded, bigoted and irrationally angry at times, much of which I blame from experience with my dad on the medications for his congestive heart condition. More importantly he generously answered the same questions over and over while recruiting some excellent writers and successfully recruiting and supporting sponsors. If running this site was not a full time job it was very close to it. I'm not sure in the present fractured state of the internet that even someone taking on that kind of responsibilities here would restore the site to what it was.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

This site was a wonderful place full of mature kind people, the rest of the internet moved in a different direction. Neil we appreciate everything you have done to keep this library of information open and here to help us and others it would be a real shame for it to disappear.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread