+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Still Early

Default Still Early

Flyfished Saturday. Very nice day...reached 76 degrees, but started out in the 30's, and had low temps below freezing the previous 2 evenings...I think that had a big affect on the fishing.
    And fishing was extremely slow. I fished for 2 hours before finally catching 2 small grass Carp on back-to-back casts.

Then around 20 minutes later, a really nice 21" Freshwater Drum. Impressive fighter!

Then nothing...just a Green Sunfish some time later.
    I went to another place to try for a bullhead on a fly. I didn't see any, but there were thousands of Goldfish. The myriad of smaller ones were uninterested in the fly. I managed to coax a big one into eating it. Beautiful 11" fish!

Last edited by FishnDave; 04-06-2021 at 09:56 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice Drum David. Good catch.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    Nice Drum David. Good catch.

Dennis
    Thanks! Hopefully there will be more of those showing up over the next couple months.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice report David! Are the grassies reproducing's there?
    iaflyfisher

Quote Originally Posted by iaflyfisher View Post
    Nice report David! Are the grassies reproducing's there?
    I'm pretty sure they are, yes. I think the Missouri River and Mississippi River and their tributaries are all populated by naturally-reproducing Grass Carp. Neither river really has much vegetation for them to eat. They seem to be much more willing to eat a fly than the hatchery triploids that are stocked intentionally in ponds and lakes.
    I like 'em all.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 04-07-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David,
    LOVE your little chartreusey thingy. Looks like the one we use quite effectively at Clearlake (where the crappie are starting to spawn....finally) and around. Grand reports!
    ....lee s

Still a bit early here as well. I made it out for a couple hours yesterday. Caught a nice black crappie in a lake that's never held crappie before to my knowledge which was interesting, and missed a couple others. Caught one greenie and a couple of medium sized 'gills. A second lake holds some big channel cats; I saw one prowling that looked like it would go 18-20" but I was fishing a little glass 4wt and wasn't sure I wanted him so I let him move on. I did take several nice 'gills...

There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by lee s View Post
    David,
    LOVE your little chartreusey thingy. Looks like the one we use quite effectively at Clearlake (where the crappie are starting to spawn....finally) and around. Grand reports!
    ....lee s
    Thanks Lee! I found some crappies near shore this weekend as well, I assume they are beginning to prepare for spawning here as well.

Also caught a bass, some nice bluegills, and this presumed Redear x Bluegill Hybrid:

Snakes were chillin':
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    Still a bit early here as well. I made it out for a couple hours yesterday. Caught a nice black crappie in a lake that's never held crappie before to my knowledge which was interesting, and missed a couple others. Caught one greenie and a couple of medium sized 'gills. A second lake holds some big channel cats; I saw one prowling that looked like it would go 18-20" but I was fishing a little glass 4wt and wasn't sure I wanted him so I let him move on. I did take several nice 'gills...

Excellent! Sounds like you had an enjoyable day of fishing!
    I tell you...I struggled yesterday. Went to 5 different waters, probably travelled a good 100+ miles....got skunked at 3 places, scraped together a half-dozen small crappies at one spot, then the very last spot finally produced a mix of decent fish. Saved the day, for sure.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread