+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Numbering on an old glass rod

Hybrid View

Default Numbering on an old glass rod

I inherited a glass rod with the numbers 14581/2 on it. Am I correct assuming that the line to be used are 4 and 5 weight. Was one number for a wt forward floating and the other for a sinking line? What is does the 1 signify?
    Thanks Randall Sale-the Kytroutbum

I don't have a specific answer for you but .

Those glass rods are nice to cast without seeing the rod hard to say line size ,
    if your fortunate enough to have a few spare lines you should line it up and try ,,
    you will be able to tell right away if the line is too light as it will not load. Glass rods
    are very easy to gauge line size , all by feel.. of course assuming you have fished with one
    prior to.. What brand is it ? like to see a photo.... : we here on this site like photos..

At any rate enjoy the inheritance ....
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

1458 seems to be a model number of early Horrocks Ibbetson glass rods. If there is a line size (It may be too old for that) it will be three letters i.e. hgh etc.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

It does appear to be an HI number. "14" is the model number in terms of quality; "8 1/2" is the length. I have no idea what the 5 meant, but it probably wasn't a line weight. AFTMA line weights weren't in common use until the mid-60's (it was adopted in 1961, but wasn't widely used for a couple of years.) If the rod was made before then, it's definitely isn't a line weight. And made after that, I would expect an 8 1/2 foot glass rod to be about a 7 weight. (There are a few more recent exceptions.)

If the rod is also marked with line size letters, along the lines of "HCH or D", they HCH part will mean a DT or WF line and the D will mean for a level line.
    Bob

I didn’t see any lettering-I am old enough to vaguely remember them. I am unfamiliar with the number in terms of quality. Any idea of its quality or possible time span it might have been manufactured? Old rods are completely out of my field of knowledge.

They had models 13, 14, and 15, in increasing order (I think) of quality of hardware. At least that's how I understand it.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread