+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One more simple tool

Default One more simple tool

Hi all,

I'm not sure I'm not repeating something someone else has already presented in the past, it'll take me quite a while to get through the BB archives to find this, but...

I didn't want to spend money on a bobbin threader after reading many complaints that they tend to break easily. So, being the "make-it-yourself"er my mother raised so well, I took an 8"-10" piece of my now-seldom-used, 10 lb test monofilament and doubled it over, creased it and, leaving a loop in the end- pinched it together with my cheap hackle plier, applied a couple coats of cement to the other end to form a handle, allowed it to dry and then and ever since have used it to thread my bobbin. If it breaks I'm gonna complain to 'Stren'...lol.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

MO, Did you get my e-mail? Maybe I read it wrong.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

How about this for a bobbin? No threading tool needed. Made by hareline. Item #WB1, incase you want your fly shop to order it for you.

------------------
    Official Flyfishing gear tester. Liscense # OUCI12

[This message has been edited by countrygent36 (edited 15 July 2005).]

cheapest threader I've ever seen is called a Dental floos threader. Buy them in packs of 3-6 at your local drug store.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

countrygent36, That's a Wishbone Bobbin. I'm sure Hairline is just selling it.For not being a ceramic bobbin their super smooth and I get no thread fray.I picked up 2 of them for like $22.
    Brent

an even easier, no threader needed way is to suck the thread up the tube. Works well unless the end of the thread is frayed back (usually when you break off by accident), or your tube is full of wax. Get the thread started with some slack and suck it up.

The dental floss threaders are cheap as mentioned and work extremely well though they do break and I really dont have any more room to loose them in

AlanB Guest

This always amazes me. I never use a bobbin threader as I suck the thread through. However at least 99% of fly tiers have a spool of wire on their tying bench. Take it pull off about 5 or 6 inches and fold in half. Hey presto a bobbin threader.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

If you want to get just a little fancier.....cut off an old toothbrush handle [or there are all kinds of things to use] ...drill a little hole in it and epoxy [glue] in the mono, dental floss threader, etc.

and you could glue on some velcro...
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0008.jpg:0455a]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ducksterman/IMG_0008.jpg[/url:0455a]

actually in the picture I didn't cut off the brush ..I use it too.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 16 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread