+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some bass bugs

Default Some bass bugs

I've been working on some bass bugs the last month or so. Tying up enough to fit into fly boxes I've been putting together out of clear plastic photo holders and 6 mm white craft foam. The boxes are 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" which will fit either into my chest pack or the larger pockets in my fishing vest. The second and third patterns fit into one box, a bit tight.

Meade's Gutless Frog. A new pattern for me this year. I saw it on another site about a month ago. It's supposed to be weedless. It looks like it can be fished off a sinking line so I did a couple up in crayfish colors. I'll find out in a couple of months when the weather warms up.

P2140982.JPG

Tony's Froggie. I learned this pattern from Tony Spezio, a local tyer, until he retired and moved to Arkansas to live on the White River. He designed it as a panfish fly and I usually tie it on size 6 2xl for bluegills, rock bass and other sunfish.

P2140987.JPG

The fly really doesn't have a name. The initial template for the panfish version was the soft foam spider bodies you can buy on line and in fly shops. Usually, tied on a size 6 2 xl hook.

P2140984.JPG

For lack of a better name I calls this one the Heart Popper. Based on a foam pattern shown to me by Harrison Steeves, instead of the head being glued to the sides of the body, I left them open. I added legs on the ones in the bottom two rows since I took the picture. Has a bit of a Jitterbug action when retrieved with a steady strip.

P2140990.JPG

Some general information. They're all made out of craft foam. 6 mm for the first three patterns. The first two are strips of the 6 mm foam. The third is an arrowhead shaped piece of 6 mm foam. Tied on 2/0 Ahrex Trout Predator Long hooks. The last batch are tied with a heart shaped piece of 2 mm craft foam. Tied on a size 4 Gamakatsu B10S. Colors are permanent markers. Legs are spinner bait skirt layers, otherwise known as Sili Legs or Crazy Legs.

There appears to be very little hook clearance on the gutless frogs. Is that an illusion from the camera angle or does the foam compress to allow hook-up?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    There appears to be very little hook clearance on the gutless frogs. Is that an illusion from the camera angle or does the foam compress to allow hook-up?
    If you look you can see an opening in front of the hook point, the back part of the foam sits just at the top of the hook bend. Theoretically, when a bass hits it will push the foam down. I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can prove that theory.

+ Reply to Thread