+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying blues

Default Fly tying blues

A question for you "expert" tyers out there. Do you ever get in a rut when your flies just don't turn out right? I am by no means an expert, but on occasion I can tie a pretty decent fly, but sometimes I hit a rut and just can't get what I want off the vise. I guess that the cure is to keep going, that's what I do. I suppose that if you tie every day then it gets pretty repetetive, and you get good muscle memory, but for me I just hit a rut every now and then. Be interested in your replies.
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

When your flies are NOT coming out to the standards you have set for yourself, go back to the basics. Tie something very simple and go through step-by-step as you tie it to make sure you aren't skipping or skimping on something.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Here's some advice that works for me in many situations not only tying (I am no "expert" tyer):

When working on something that I've been trying to get done for a while and it does not come out right, I consider two things:

1st Is it a lack of practice or skill?
    2nd If I have the skills and even after trying several times it just does not work out well, is it an excess of "trying"

When I think the reason falls into the first consideration then I just keep on going until either I get it done or at least feel that I have completed the process of learning, even going back to the basics if necessary, as LF advices, and am sure that the next time it will work.

When the answer is the second consideration I just let it go and stop right there.

Why is that? even when it comes to "muscle memory" you need a time to let your brain digest all the information you've been feeding him without actually performing the tasks you have been asking him to perform. The next time you try it

IT WILL WORK OUT.

Dave

Ahhh Humph....I certainly can't reply here!!!! Hanszzzz...where are you!!!!...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 10 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jim Slattery Guest

The " expert" request might keep the more humble types from answering but what the heck this is a good question.
    When ever I get into a rut, tying flies that I have been tying , it's usually from lack of concentration/ focus. You get familiar and you get sloppy. If it's an order or flies needed asap for fishing I just slow the process down by examining each step of the process , finding the points that are bringing down my self imposed quality . Is it my technique? am I making each wrap of thread and material count? Are my materials lacking in quality,if so how can I overcome that ?
    If I'm tying a pattern that I haven't tied for a while or have never tied , I just take it slow ,sometimes the slower the better, asking myself the same questions I do with familiar patterns. As I tie more of the same pattern , usually 2 to 3 , I can reach a level quality of my expectations, with always room for improvement.
    If this dosen't solve the problem I step away, even for 5 minutes and clear my head.Then I mentally tie the fly a couple times before I actually try to tie it again. If I can I'll come back to the pattern a few days later, after I give it casual thought. More often than not , for me at least , it's a focus thing, being mentally prepared for the task at hand.
    NON EXPERT, Jim Slattery

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:0391c]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:0391c]

Sometimes looking at a picture,while tying is not enough, you need a 3D Model in front of you. This way you can actually digest all the nuance(a shade of difference, or delicate variation)that the photograph lacks.

Also I can not over emphasis (special attention to stress it's importance) about lighting...

Not only does my tying area have generous general lighting, but I also have spot lighting that I can place as needed for better veiwing of what I am trying to achive.

Last but not least, if it is a new pattern, start big and work down in hook size as you master the fly pattern at the larger size.

~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 11 July 2005).]

I too have hit that rut before. I take some of the offensive flies and try them out in front of fish. It makes me feel better to know that the fish are not as picky as I.

Lux

I've hit that rut so many times my teeth are loose.

I am definitely NO expert but I used to tie a few of these and a few of those at a session and most looked pretty bad. I now choose a pattern and a size and tie my minimum quantity of 16 of each size I decided on, BEFORE switching to a different pattern. It does get monotonous but my flies have improved dramatically by sticking to the program. Of course you could choose to tie 6 of each fly but in any case sticking to a pattern helps. A commercial tier doesn?t have to be concerned with this but us hacks need to focus; (not implying you?re a hack of course, just me).

I also found that if it works out: (for example when tying the same pattern with only a color variation); try and group your tying by hook size. When I tie midges I do all of my different colors in the same size before moving on to the next size. Jumping from a size 18 hook to a size 24 can really screw up your proportions.

The other thing that has helped me is MAGNIFICATION. I use an Opti Visor; around the head type of magnifying loupe and it has made a BIG difference in my flies. No matter how good your eyes are, magnification will help your flies look better.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 11 July 2005).]

Bamboozle and others, thanks for the replies, I used the word expert as a sort of tounge-in-cheek type thing, I want all advice I can get not just expert opinions. I think the tying of the same fly to a certain number is what I need to do. I usually tie one, then another pattern, so on and so forth, so I am going to give that a try. I know the one thing I have a problem with is being ambidextrious (sp), I sometimes get confused on which hand I want to use, as it switches from time to time. For example sometimes I wrap my hackle with my right hand, other times with my left, also I switch off when I am tying my head, or tying material, I have taught myself to use my right hand, but I "want" to use my left hand at times, which leads to mistakes. I also took the advice to slow down and look at my steps, I tied two good flies this morning using that advice, so thanks. I am still trying to convince the wife to let me get a digital camera, it seems that buying food, diapers for the new baby, and paying off one last credit card are more important, the nerve of some people!

Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

I try all the other things that folks have said, but at times myu hands are just not going to work the way they should.

At that point I quit and try another day.
    Will read a fly fisihng book or something else, but I leave the vice alone.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread