+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raffia - " Swiss Straw"

Default Raffia - " Swiss Straw"

Is Raffia the same as Swiss Straw?
    For which fly patterns is it used, and how?
    Where are some places to find it for sale?
    Thanks X 3!
    John

I found this description of Swiss Straw while searching the net...

"Metz Swiss Straw
    Description: Swiss Straw Body material. Useful in tying wing cases and for stone flies etc

A thin Raffia-like material. Staw like and water absorbent this is a wonderful versatile material."

This sounds more like a marketing description and I would say they are the same thing.

You can use raffia for scud backs, nymph wing cases, etc.

You can buy raffia at Arts and Craft stores like Michaels, AC Moore, etc and I think Target, KMart and WalMart.

I've used both and swiss straw is far and away superior to raffia . It's the overbody in my 2 bead pupa pattern. Russ B.

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

I use the raffier for the back of shrimps, I coat the raffier when ties in with varnish.

Brian

Raffia comes in a variety of colours and as mentioned is good for wing cases. In yellow or gray it is also good for emerging wings. However if you want dark wing cases you can also use a piece of audiotape (plenty available I am sure).

Thanks again!!
    Audiotape! What a perfect material!
    Maybe some things are too obvious to catch our attention.
    john

If you purchase a neutral color you can make it any color you want with permanent marker pens.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

You can buy it at Joanns and hobby lobby and other such craft stores plus fly shops but craft stores are my #1 choicve of places to buy it at as the colors they have will be a ton more then fly shops. Wal-mart all so has it. Later Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

Swiss straw is also called plastic raffia. Do not buy the natural swiss straw, as this is real straw and will disolve in water. Plastic raffia is used for ribbon and also in "plastic canvas" work. So if you're looking for it in a crafts store, look in those two places.
    I use it for wings and shell backs. Its cheap and relatively stiff.
    On way that I use it for a mottled effect is to open it up, paint the middle with sally hansen's hard as nails, sprinkle this with coarse dubbing, then fold over one third, paint the top of the folded third with the hard as nails, then fold the other third on top of this. I then pull it along the edge of my tying table to get out the extra nail polish. Finally, I put it under several books to dry.
    I don't know about this Metz Swiss Straw. It says its "water absorbent." I don't want that in a shell back or wing.
    When using it as a shell back, for a real pretty look and stiffer shell, coat it with 5 minute epoxy or use loon's UV hardened goop (can't remember the name). I tie a VERY realistic craw pattern using this and its great.
    Frank Reid

Swiss Straw in every color has been my go-to for wing material. Imitates insect wing color spectrum perfectly. I am also using it on my new Deer Creek Plopper Pattern for Wing (using the new TNT legs, & spun deer hair body & head). This pattern just slays the trout !!!

+ Reply to Thread