+ Reply to Thread

Thread: atlantic Salmon fly materials

Default atlantic Salmon fly materials

latly i have been tying a lot of Atlantic Salmon flies and i ran out of wing material, and i would like to get better material. I see a lot of flies tied with goose shoulder and macaw feathers. What do you recomend looks good.

------------------
    trout, bass, sea bass i dont care its fishing. <><

From what you said, I don't know what kind of wings you want to tie. Full Feather wings or married wings? What size flies do you tie?

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Married wings. I know i was missing something. 2/0

[This message has been edited by sculpin29 (edited 07 July 2005).]

I was using a lot of turkey but i only have it in nature and that not what i was looking for on a show fly i am tying.<><

Try goose shoulder, you should be able to get it in a variety of colors. Macaw is an exotic and is very expensive. You can also try different varieties of pheasant tail, but they can often be difficult to marry, especially at the tips of the barbs and from the center feathers of the tail clumps.

Goose shoulder should be fine for a 2/0 fly. Generally Macaw is not used in married wing flies but it will work and does look good. Unless you are matching a particular pattern, start collecting different turkey tail and the larger secondaries. There are a lot of different kinds of turkeys.

Whatever you use, there is no substitute for quality feathers for these wings.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Ronn Lucas, is too modest!

Not only is he a terrific fly tier of "Salmon Flies", the writer of most of the "Atlantic Salmon Tying Series", he is also a "Sponsor of FAOL" and sells much of the quality materials you need for Salmon Flies (which can be hard to locate elsewhere)!

I just love his "Iridescent Dubbing", which I use on most of my fly patterns, as a matter of choice.

~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 11 July 2005).]

Hi all,
    If you are looking for some of the exotic feathers go to the pet store and ask the people there to colect them for you. I got some off a macaw that way.

Macaw is difficult to marry, and it's generally used for horns and full feather wings. Feathers that marry well are swan, peacock secondaries, goose shoulder, amgold pheasant tail, amherst pheasant tail, turkey, golden pheasant tail, and of course, bustard, which is difficult and expensive to obtain. You CAN put macaw in your wing, but the expense may not be worth the agony. It's generally substituted for in married wings.
    Eric

I just wanted to echo Steven M. comments. Check out Ronn's material, it really is select. There is nothing quite like working with the best material.
    Royce

+ Reply to Thread