+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klympen Rainbow Warrior

Default Klympen Rainbow Warrior

A real chameleon of a pattern; I’ll try this one on a #16 as tailwater bait.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #8
    thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
    rib - small wire silver
    underbody - holo tinsel red
    abdomen - tinsel pearl
    thorax - Sow Scud dubbing rainbow

Regards
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

scott, never tied them with a thorax that bushy, but I think im going to try it now. good looking fly, love the way the pearl tinsel takes on different shades

Nice colors Scott. I'll have to try that one this Spring. Very well tied.
    God Bless America

I saw where the fishermen in Klympen are fishing for sea trout, I am wondering if fresh water trout are going to react positively to that "wing".
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I saw where the fishermen in Klympen are fishing for sea trout, I am wondering if fresh water trout are going to react positively to that "wing".
    Jesse,

With the success of the original Rainbow Warrior nymph, it’s a question of is more better, as good, or at least not worse? I’ll try to find out this spring.

Regards,
    Scott

I am intrigued at the idea of using a synthetic dubbing like this sow scud rainbow dubbing in a dubbing loop to form a thorax, or even an entire fly body. I have a caddis emerger pattern tied that way using SLF Prism fibers that I have great success with. Now, I’m experimenting tying other similar patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I am intrigued at the idea of using a synthetic dubbing like this sow scud rainbow dubbing in a dubbing loop to form a thorax, or even an entire fly body. I have a caddis emerger pattern tied that way using SLF Prism fibers that I have great success with. Now, I’m experimenting tying other similar patterns.
    John,

In an admittedly small sample size (2 packs of each), I’ve found a noticeable difference between Wapsi Sow/Scud Rainbow dubbing and the Orvis version. The Orvis stuff is absolute crap; even after heavily waxing the thread, I couldn't get it to dub on the thread properly; it can work in a dubbing loop but, even then, it’s a pain and much coarser than the Wapsi product. The Wapsi, used in the pics above, worked great, either dubbed on thread or in a loop. Not sure what kind of binder fur Orvis used but it sure didn't compare to the Wapsi, which I think used antron; the amount of shredded mylar seemed to be the same in both products.

Regards,
    Scott

When it comes to rainbow dubbings, I like using the Fly Tyer's Dungeon UV-X Rainbow dubbings. They dub easy, come in different color blends, have the added UV properties, and are cheaper than most. I have the Wapsi Sow/Scud Rainbow and typically find myself using the FTD blends way more often.
    Glad I can whip finish because I sure as hell can't double haul...

Quote Originally Posted by wyoflyschmidty View Post
    When it comes to rainbow dubbings, I like using the Fly Tyer's Dungeon UV-X Rainbow dubbings. They dub easy, come in different color blends, have the added UV properties, and are cheaper than most. I have the Wapsi Sow/Scud Rainbow and typically find myself using the FTD blends way more often.
    Thanks for the recommendation; I’ll have to give that a try. I’ve been very happy with everything else I’ve purchased from the Dungeon.

Regards,
    Scott

I love 'em. Quality stuff, broad selections, and excellent prices. Pretty hard to beat it!
    Glad I can whip finish because I sure as hell can't double haul...

+ Reply to Thread