+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craw pattern bass jig

Default Craw pattern bass jig

I'm trying to develop a craw pattern I can tie on a 1/4 oz. head 3/0 hook jig. Currently I've been using trimmed zonker strips for arms/claws; cross-cut rabbit under bucktail for the body. I'm not impressed with what I've done so far! Would anyone care to offer material suggestions to improve my jig?

Here's one using pheasant for the claws: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/041403fotw.html:00f71]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/041403fotw.html[/url:00f71]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Sorry for the poor choice of words in my explaination... I'm working on a Crayfish pattern. Thanks

Stretch that crab out, and what does it look like? Patterns are flexible. Nobody is going to slap your wrists for turning a crab into a craw.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 26 June 2005).]

For the claws on craw patterns, I've used the clear rubber strips found in craft stores or sewing shops. This stuff is used for making an elastic waist on a womans skirt and comes in various widths. It takes a colored marker well, has good action in the water and is practically indestructable. It also works well for the shell when pulled back over the dubbed, hackeled or cross-cut fur body. It is not expensive and has many other applications on different patterns. Let me know if you need more information on this product.

Jim Smith

I just tie a double bunny using dumbell eyes and crawfish orange zonker strips. I make no attempt to create claws. So far this pattern really brings in the brown trout and smallmouth bass. It is very impressionistic but acts just right in the water. Very easy to tie which is good because I lose a lot of them.

------------------
    Ron M

I make my claws like the ones LF showed. The only difference is that I dip mine in Dave's Flexament. Choose a feather like the one in the picture. Strip the "waste" off the feather. Dip the feather down in the bottle of fleximent. As the flex. drips off the tip of the feather. A gap in the tip of the claw appears. It adds strength to the claws as well. Scott

There is a very interesting Crayfish pattern in the spring Fly Tyer called the "Creepy Crawler" using two clumps of calftail or bucktail for claws, Cactus chenille body, dumbell eyes for weight, and multiple strands of rubber leg material for movement. I tied one clump of hair in and then split it using figure 8's simplified the pattern for me.

9. Default

I personally don't like feathers for claws and think strips of rabbit are much better. IMO a crawdad fly needs to have alot of action in the water because the naturals have alot of movement in the water while they are fleeing. Here is the my personal favorite.

------------------
    [url=http://www.emptycreel.com:02e93]EmptyCreel.com[/url:02e93]

cincy,

I think you make a good point....please allow me to make a suggestion that has appealed to me lately.

I find that most of the rabbit strips available tend to be thick in the leather and kind of wide.

I've taken to cutting my own rabbit strips and find the hides tend to have thinner leather [I haven't done all that many] and most importantly you can cut nice narrow strips.....

All this give rabbit that is more flexible and gives more motion...
    plus you get a lot more strips for less $$$.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 05 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread