+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weekend Stocker Trout

Hybrid View

Default Weekend Stocker Trout

Saturday was cloudy, intermittent rain, breezy. Had the pond all to myself. Caught 10 Rainbow Trout, 1 Largemouth Bass, 2 White Crappies.
    I heard an owl in a big pine tree I was fishing under, but I couldn't spot him.

Last edited by FishnDave; 11-16-2020 at 03:40 AM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sunday I had the park all to myself for awhile....it eventually got pretty crowded. Caught 6 Rainbows. This gives me 40 so far, of the 400 that were stocked...so I've caught 10%. The rain and wind we had has stirred up the water quite a bit. Most of the duckweed that was covering the surface in large areas disappeared, and so did most of the floating leaves (I think they just sank)....but the leaves are still falling and blowing around.

Some kids showed up and spooked an owl out of a tree. The owl flew low towards me and then passed about 20' to my left. Pretty cool.

One fish is shown 3 times in the pics below. It had cool markings, measured 14".

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David, looks like you had some nice outings. How many lakes in the St. Louis area did they stock?
    I live in Mexico,Mo and they stock one city park lake here. Fortunately the lake is only about 500 yards from my house. Haven't made it there yet as my wife had ankle replacement surgery three weeks ago and can't put any weight on it yet, so I've been staying in.

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    David, looks like you had some nice outings. How many lakes in the St. Louis area did they stock?
    I live in Mexico,Mo and they stock one city park lake here. Fortunately the lake is only about 500 yards from my house. Haven't made it there yet as my wife had ankle replacement surgery three weeks ago and can't put any weight on it yet, so I've been staying in.
    Dave,
    The St. Louis Area Winter Trout Program brochure I have says the MDC stocks 12 lakes in St. Louis city and St. Louis County...as well as 5 lakes at the August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area.

Which lake do they stock where you are? Lakeview Park? That's a pretty big piece of water! Do you fish the South Fork of the Salt River at the east edge of town?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

They don't stock Lakeview-it's too big and kind of difficult to get to the water's edge in a lot of places. They stock Kiwanis Park lake on Hendricks street. Unfortunately it has a lot of moss around the edges this year making fishing difficult. A few cold snaps should fix it.

I've never fished the South Fork branch near town. Wasn't aware there were many fish in it. Have you fished it?

I used to keep a bass boat near Mark Twain Lake so have fished it a lot over the years. Sold the boat last year as I'm getting old and not as agile as I used to be.

I haven't fished it. I would bet there's fish in the South Fork....looks like it runs unimpeded all the way to Mark Twain Lake. Water looks murky in the aerials...hard to know how deep the creek might be.
    What did you catch at Mark Twain?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread