+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Hair to float your fly

Default Frog Hair to float your fly

You can buy a 1 gallon bag for under ( 7.00)I just ordered a gallon Frog Fanny is a silica powder,you can also use( Silica)on your arrow to keep feathers dry for hunting. Just thought I would tell you guys if interested-- [url=http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/cabosil.php:384ea]http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/cabosil.php[/url:384ea]

John

[This message has been edited by JAd (edited 09 June 2005).]
    Fish like predator.

Sounds like the same thing as Frog Fanny, though far less costly!! Stuff works great!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I first worked with Cabosil in the early 60's. Used it in epoxy coatings. It is the material used for the powder dry fly treatment.

It was also used for termites. It was spread it attics and crawl spaces. The particle size is so small it gets into the breathng holes of insects and clogs them up. It's no longer used like that because of possible harm to humans. If you've ever crawled up into a attic and seen a light fluffy powder that looks like translucent snow, that's cabosil.

If you do buy a large amount, and a pound is a huge amount, use care in filling your bottle. You should not breath the stuff and it's so light it about floats in air. You might want to wear a dust mask or resperator. If you breath enough of it you could develop a nonreversible lung disease called silicosis.

I use it sometimes for treating flies. It does work well.

------------------
    Joe

Yea that's a good price, but it seems kind of like buying a gallon of head cement to me.

Jay

a material is marketed to archers as a feather waterproofing agent, to fly guys as a dessicant.

is the archery stuff the SAME as Frog's Fanny so that it dries and waterproofs the fly.

Cabosil is ~ fused silica , a natural dessicant, used for many industrial purposes ( drying, extending, viscosity control ,...). Can it be substituted for both target buyers products?
    Would you like to moderate you cost by selling off a few OZ's>

Jayatwork- You are right but! The cost of a bottle of Frogs Fanny is $5.00 and when it is gone you have to spend another $5.00 spot. Why not buy a gallon of it for $7.00 and be done with it. And remember that you can sell it to your fishing buddy's for about $2.00 a bottle and give them a heck of a deal and pay for yours real fast.

zzdruid- Same stuff. Ron

Well it came in mail today. Shipping and handling total 12.53 I checked it out ,Same thing looks like my buddies and myself are set for life on floatant. I think it's a great deal

John

------------------
    Presentation Presentation
    Presentation

Presentation

[This message has been edited by JAd (edited 13 June 2005).]
    Fish like predator.

Price per ounce:
    Aircraft Spruce & Specialty: $0.05
    Cabela?s: $23.96
    If it?s the same stuff Cabela?s markup (ignoring repackaging) is a not-too-shabby 44,785 percent!

A little math.
    John
    Fish like predator.

JAd,
    More math....if Cabela's get it from the same wholesaler as aircraftspruce their mark up may double again.

This discussion of using cabosil as a Frog Fanny replacement was posted by No Hackle on another board.
    [url=http://www.utahonthefly.com/chat/showthread.php?t=1759:a058e]www.utahonthefly.com/chat/showthread.php?t=1759[/url:a058e]

summary - Frog's Fanny is more than plain cabosil. It has some other dessicant mixed in.

Maybe clay dessicant?
    [url=http://www.texastechnologies.com/desiccant.htm:a058e]www.texastechnologies.com/desiccant.htm[/url:a058e]

+ Reply to Thread