+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Boat hull type is the most stable.....?

Default Which Boat hull type is the most stable.....?

I am in the market for a 14-16' fishing boat. I had a 14' shallow v hull and it was far too tippy. I went to a couple of big lakes here and the wind and waves were just too much for my boat so I sold it. Other people went out in their boats.
    Now I always wanted a modified v hull like Lefty Kreh uses in his video of him and Bob Clouser bass fishing. Now I doubt that is the most stable....although he certainly uses it.

There are jon boats with a flat front. Modified v hull almost like a jon boat. V-hull.....Deep V hull.....and Tri Hull. It looks to me like a tri hull is sort of like a catamaran....? Uh....sort of wide at the tip of the boat...and sort of down runners on each side and in the middle.

I have been told the Tri Hull is the most stable. But I thought a deep V would be ok.

I am not going to go out in the ocean with it. But I do indeed place very high priority on the stability in a little bit rough water. I am not going to go and challenge the weather. Just wit my little shallow 14' boat I went to a couple of lakes here where a fly club was having an outing......and I didn't even launch my little boat. Waters just too rough for me.

I would like to know which of the boat hull types would be the most stable. Then I can shop for a boat.

tks to anyone who can help me out.

jim
    Incurable Optimist with Insatiable curiosity

I went through the same thing trying to decide which boat. I believe you have it figured out, that the V-hulls are more stable on the water. My problem however, was that I am so unstable I'd have problems getting in and out of the boat. I have extremely poor balance. So I went with the 12' jon boat. That way, when I beach the boat to get out, the flat bottom would be more stable and wouldn't rock back and forth on the beach.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Have you looked at the Carolina Skiffs? They are great boats and you can pick up an older modle for a reasonable price. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...29816934004535

All depends on the water you plan to splash around in. Flat bottoms are great for rivers, small lakes and ponds, not so good for open waters like bigger lakes where the wind can produce some choppy waves, and the V-bottom can cut through those waves.

Blog Entries

Hull design is a monster-sized topic! Flat bottom jon boats have a lot of "reserve bouyancy" which means they ride nice and flat... until suddenly they don't. For flat calm they are the most stable. When things get nasty they can flip in a heartbeat.

Semi-vee hulls without chines are very rolly, but in nastier stuff they will continue to stay upright... A deep vee will stay upright in nastier stuff yet and will be more stable than a semi-vee. The trade-offs are many though. Weight, cost, ease of boarding due to high sides, and more.

My son is building mini-jet-boats with jet ski engines and high sides. 14' long and the bottoms are covered with UHMW plastic for lubrication when running in rocks. Last week we had three people, gear, and a bull moose along for the ride... in a 14" boat! I carried a USCG Master License for 20 years and have a fair bit of sea time.
    Last edited by hap; 10-03-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo on uhmw

I used a V hull for years but we are to the point where grandkids are coming fast and furious. I think a nice stable pontoon boat might be in order. Slow and steady with some peaceful fishing time for the kids and me is all I need.

+ Reply to Thread