Jim -

A couple additional thoughts.

First, knot strength, not leader or tippet strength, is the weakest point in your rigging. ( Knot strength is typically expressed as a percentage of tippet strength - less than 100%. ) I have never heard of a knot that is actually stronger than the strength of the material being knotted. If I had, or if one exists, that is the knot I would be using.

Second, there are two material strengths to consider. First, there is tensile strength, and second, there is shear strength. Tensile strength is measured by when the material will fail when stretched. Shear strength is measured by when a material will fail when force is applied across that material ( from 90 degrees to the material ).

The strength of a leader or tippet in pounds refers to its tensile strength. The strength of a knot is measured in terms of a percentage of the tensile strength of the material being knotted. So the weakest point in your rigging is the knot.

I have never experienced a leader or tippet failing from the shear force at the tip ring or eye of the hook, and have never heard anyone speak about such a failure. Perhaps it does happen, but not to the extent that it has been even considered a possibility in discussions about rigging strength. The point being, why pass the leader or tippet throught the eye of the hook twice when doubling the shear strength will not in any way improve the tensile strength of a single strand of the material being knotted or improve the knot strength ??

John