+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Massena NY

Default Massena NY

I will be traveling to Massena NY for business multiple times over the next few months. Is there any steelhead fishing in the area? Anything else? Any info would be appreciated.
    Jeff

The town of St. Regis Falls stocks the river of the same name (I think it's the east branch, but whichever branch runs right through the village) at the park. There's some access off some of the back roads (one's a dirt road to the east about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile north of the village). St. Regis Falls is a little over an hour away.

There's also some trout on the upper reaches of the Grasse River, but I've never fished there.

If your feeling really rambunctious, you could drive to Lake Placid and fish the W. Branch of the Ausable.

Hello Jeff
    While in Massena you will be 125 miles (just over 2 hours) from the Salmon River (Pulaski, NY). The Steelhead fishing can be outstanding along with some nice Brown Trout as well. It all depends on runoff and water temps. A bit north of there you have South Sandy which can be great but is more dependant on the runoff and temps. This time of year the fishing pressure tends to be quite light.

If you head a bit further to the Oswego River (Oswego, NY) you can get into some world-class Brown Trout and Steelhead. Again, water flows and temps dictate the fish activity. I have had some phenomenal days swinging flies on the Oswego. A good day can result in many Browns averaging 5 ? 8lbs with fish up to 20lbs not uncommon along with some Steelhead and an occasional Lake Trout.

If you are going to be in Massena for a while, you really ought to head down that way when you get some free time.

If you have not done this type of fishing before I can recommend a couple very experienced TEACHING guides. Both will help you learn the ropes so that you can be successful on your own as well.

As far as stuff up toward Massena, much of the trout fishing is closed until spring and things tend to take a VERY, VERY, VERY long time to thaw out up there. I lived near Saranac Lake for 2 years and the water there is a bit hard (solid) this time of year

Once Pike Season opens in May there is some GREAT fly-fishing to be had on the St. Lawrence for them. Don't be surprised if a fish the size of a nuclear powered sub follows your fly as well as there are some BIG Musky about as well. There are plenty of places you can rent a boat.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Dr.Fish
    Thanks for the reply.
    that seams like a long way considering I drive back and forth across Canada to Michigan. Would it be closer to hit a Lake Champlain trib. do any of them have a Steelhead run?

If you drive back and forth to MI, Pulaski is a short drive Besides, you are looking at an hour+ to get to Champlain as well. No Steelhead in Champlain tribs.

If you are coming from MI, why not leave a day or two early and hit the Lake Ontario tribs on the way. Pulaski is only an hour or less from the border crossing. South Sandy and others are around 1/2 that distance.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Dr Fish.
    Thanks for the Info. I will give it a try.
    I'll let you know how I do.
    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread