Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
... bear spray is highly effective when used properly and is much preferred over firearms by virtually all state and federal agencies as a matter of policy in dealing with bears.

It's been about ten years since Hap and I had quite the go around on this subject, and I have zero interest in rehashing that discussion which ended with Hap bowing out because further discussion would have to be "political", which I didn't think was necessary but wasn't worth pursuing because the ball was in his court at that point.

If you want good information on bear safety, go the the National Park Service website, or the websites of other federal agencies like the National Forest Service or U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or the State parks, fish and game services around the Western U. S.

As of ten years ago, all of those services advocated for use of bear spray over use of firearms, and nothing has changed at least as to the National Park Service when I was on their website this morning.

The choice is yours - spend the time and energy to thoroughly research the subject to become informed and be safe, or not.

Just saying.

John
I remember well our previous discussions on bear spray. After decades of experience and I would suggest, more direct experience with bears than all members of AOL combined, I have had multiple opportunities to deal with bears in just about every mode. I have stood guard with photographers with more than 100 brown bears in our immediate area. I have guided for them and hunted them myself extensively. I know many of the folks involved in the issue from many different angles.

As a thumbnail to the politics of the issue from both sides: there are many in the management side on both sides of the debate as to where the acceptable line should be drawn on killing bears and how. Currently the top managers in the majority are of the opinion every effort should be made to protect every possible bear. They are aware the average interaction should not involve killing the bear and the vast majority of charges are bluff. It would be hard to argue against the fact.

The other side sees the much smaller number where the bear will maul or kill the victim. They acknowledge bears will die that should not have died, quite a few of them.

At that point the politics and agendas come into play as to how best to deal with the situation. In AK, field personnel are typically issued bear spray and a rifle (some get shotguns) and get some training on both.

In my opinion based on decades of direct contact with many thousands of bears and the application of bear spray, I would not ever rely on spray.