+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear found scavenging on the remains of a dead man in the Great Smoky Mountains

Default Bear found scavenging on the remains of a dead man in the Great Smoky Mountains

SMOKEY MOUNTAINS BEAR - Friday 9/11/2020
    (This was at Campsite #82, a remote area between Fontana Lake and Clingman's Dome. A 16 year-old boy was mauled in the same area in 2015 while hiking with his father. )
    Park rangers found a bear scavenging on the remains of a dead man in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on Friday.
    Backpackers on Friday afternoon first discovered an unoccupied tent at backcountry campsite 82 near Hazel Creek Trail. On the other side of the creek, the hikers spotted a bear scavenging near human remains, according to a news release from the park.
    The hikers left the area so they could get cellphone service and called authorities about 7 p.m. Rangers and wildlife officers arrived to the campsite shortly after midnight and found the bear "actively scavenging" on the man's remains, according to the release.
    Rangers euthanized the bear. Authorities have not determined the man's cause of death and are continuing to investigate. They have not yet released the name of the man, who is from another state.
    Campsite 82 will remain closed until further notice, park officials said. Hazel Creek Trail also is closed between Cold Springs Gap Trail and Welch Ridge Trail.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Since I'm always prepared for any eventuality, I just wonder if this victim had ANY means of protecting himself just in case ?. I personally love and enjoy nature but am not naive enough to always trust any/all interaction with it.

Mark

There was an incident 5 years ago in the same area where a 16 year old boy was mauled while with his father. I haven't gotten into blueline fishing and wandered the north Georgia or western NC mountains, but apparently there is a thriving black bear population. There will be a bear wander in to the suburbs north of Atlanta once or twice a year. A good size bear was hit and killed on the interstate across the interstate from where I used to jog in the early mornings.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bears are omnivorous creatures and opportunistic feeders. If they find a dead body they don't care if it is a deer, another bear or a human. I think that the odds are better than even this person was dead when the bear found him though closeness to the campground may have accustomed the bear to humans and increased the odds of a confrontation.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Last month I lost a friend to a bear attack. Dan Schilling was a mile or so from his home and absolutely not a novice around bears. He lived in a densely bear-inhabited area near Hope, AK.

Dan had apparently emptied a canister of bear spray before being killed. I have spent considerable time around black, brown, and grizzly bears and have shot more than a few, including several intent on doing me harm. While it is entirely possible the camper died of some other cause the fact a bear was actively eating the body screams "the bear killed the camper." Lots of untouched bodies have been found with bears around. In general they do not just start eating human corpses. If it is an older bear with potential health issues, especially dental issues, prior to dining it would about seal up the case for a predatory bear.

My friend Dan was just another reason why I strongly disagree with the notion bear spray is effective. I have personally seen it used twice and both bears had to be killed to stop the interaction.

Lightbulb

Hap, So sorry to hear about your friend..

Good reminder about bear sprays un-effectiveness ,
    practice safety always where-ever we roam.. !

Take care
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Arrow Actually ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post

...Good reminder about bear sprays un-effectiveness...
    ... bear spray is highly effective when used properly and is much preferred over firearms by virtually all state and federal agencies as a matter of policy in dealing with bears.

It's been about ten years since Hap and I had quite the go around on this subject, and I have zero interest in rehashing that discussion which ended with Hap bowing out because further discussion would have to be "political", which I didn't think was necessary but wasn't worth pursuing because the ball was in his court at that point.

If you want good information on bear safety, go the the National Park Service website, or the websites of other federal agencies like the National Forest Service or U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or the State parks, fish and game services around the Western U. S.

As of ten years ago, all of those services advocated for use of bear spray over use of firearms, and nothing has changed at least as to the National Park Service when I was on their website this morning.

The choice is yours - spend the time and energy to thoroughly research the subject to become informed and be safe, or not.

Just saying.

John
    The fish are always right.

I suspect it depends on the situation , me I carry spray in any regard and
    hopefully I would be of the sound mind enough to use it or not...
    A firearm against a bear would not be an option for me ,

Be well
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 09-16-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... bear spray is highly effective when used properly ... The choice is yours - spend the time and energy to thoroughly research the subject to become informed and be safe, or not.
    The NPS page on proper use of bear spray and links on bear safety. https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

I
    t is very sad for someone to loose their life. Even the best plans and contingencies can fail in the extreme cases.

Lightbulb

Bigs cats and bears have always been an issue in my neck of the woods. I stay aware
    knowing that cats have been seen in the neighborhood as well as
    two my son spotted last year near the well house. Not uncommon to see deer or whats left
    eaten near the house. Bear scat as well.
    I suspect with the Yosemite area fires close by, more wildlife will migrate towards us.
    Food and water we just got to have it..

I appreciate this thread as it has me on high alert especially in the evenings during these
    times...
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 09-16-2020 at 11:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread