+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slump Buster

Went to the fly shop today, could not find any squirrel zonker strips so I did some experimenting with materials I had at home. Used rabbit and beaver zonker strips to tie up some Slump Busters. To get a thinner zonker strips I used a razor to halve a zonker strip down its length. Worked wonderful. Worked even better when I made the strips for the "wing" thicker than those for the collar.

Now I can use some of the rabbit zonker strips I have! Must have about 12 different colors of the stuff.

Alberto

Blog Entries

Frank, if you ever come out this way to steelhead fish, bring some of those slumpbusters in black. They work reeeeeeeal good some days.

Dennis

Well, they're intended for my trip to the Madison next month, but I think I'll try them out on the smallies on the Potomac this weekend. The water level is down to 1.56 feet, temp about 75, air temp in the nineties. WET WADING TIME!!!
    I have a 175 grain sink tip that I've cut all but the last 5' of sink off. I use a 3' long straight piece of 10 lb test for a leader and chuck a 5" long Murray's Hellgrammite. Most days, I can get away with just the one fly all day. Just sharpen the hook. I think a Slump Buster in black will work wonderfully.
    By the way, can you wet wade for steelhead out there? I didn't think so. If you want my feelings on Winter fishing, go to the Lighter Side archives.
    Frank Reid

I have wet waded for summer steelhead in the Deschutes and been darn happy to....that canyon gets real warm...or I should say hot...

Blog Entries

Well, you can fish for em in the summer here, too. You can wet wade, I have seen people do it, but standing in 52F water is kind of, um, cold. Even if it is 115 out.

Steelhead will warm you up regardless of weather.

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread