+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unusual Problem

Default Unusual Problem

i recently had a "first time" problem after almost 60 years of tying. Using one of my ceramic bobbins I broke my thread while tying, an occurance which does happen, but not often. As I wasn't doing any thing unusual it did seem a bit strange and I dismissed it as a weak point in the thread. However it became a bit stranger when I was unable to rethread my bobbin. As I was using unwaxed thread I knew that wax build up was not the problem.
    As I mentally retraced my tying steps the culpert came to light. I had used a very fluid/ thin super glue to secure some slick hair and had let a larger than needed drop escape from the bottle. It had run off the fly, down the thread and into the bobbin tube. It took a bit of work to clean the tube but all is back to normal.
    Who says there is nothing new in fly tying!

While not the same I too had a problem with some super glue. I was tying parachutes and used some Crazy Glue to fortify the post. Well a big drop came out an pooled on top of the fly. I didnt have anything to get it off fast enough so I used my fingers. And yep you guest it I glued the fly to my finger that was clamped in the vice. In that same sitting I managed to glue the hackle to my fingers too!

That's GOT to make typing difficult, Tim.

If you do use it don't leave any in the hook eye.
    Usually I'm very careful not to leave anything I use one the head in the eye but must have missed one and it turned out I used a super glue and I had to practically blast it out of the eye...on the river that was a real pain in the you know what.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!
    Ducksterman

Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, sooner or later it will!"

Finnigan's Law: "Murphy is an optimist, what is this sooner or later stuff, he keeps referring too?"

When I use AC Adhesives (Super Glue), I always have a tube a AC Adhesive Remover, nearby.

~ Parnelli

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 19 June 2005).]

The last time I used super glue for anything, it took the wife an hour to quite laughing at my stuck fingers, and another 20 min. to find the finger nail polish remover.

I don't touch the stuff, Gorilla glue is all I use any more.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Iwas tying up some foam back beetles when I secured my index finger to the fly. I got my finger off the fly with half the foam. I then went to blow the excess glue out of the tube and got some on my upper lip. Closed my mouth and MmmmMmMmmmmmmMMMmmmmumble was all I could say>

I know this isn't a Fly Tying thing... but one of our dogs had his ear torn (about three inches). My wife and I had to glue the ear everynight with surgical glue to keep it together so it could heal. There was a big glob on the end of the bottle. I instictivly "pinched" it off and ended up surigcally gluing my fingers together! The next day, glued the same fingers to the dogs ear. My wife didn't allow me near that stuff afterwards!

------------------
    Brad

+ Reply to Thread