+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Great Start to the Day!

Blog Entries

Default A Great Start to the Day!

A buddy just dropped by a piece of fur he told me about finding some time ago when a friend's cabin flooded... I had not thought much about it because flooded rugs do not usually lead to good tying materials.

And 50-year-old rugs have usually been stained and the hair ruined, before any chance for the flood to do the job.

Shocked! It is 80+ square inches of beautiful white fluffy polar bear! To be legal the bear had to have been taken prior to the 1972 Marine Mammals Protection Act. And there is paperwork showing when it was and when the rug was made. I often get offers to buy polar bear, both legal and not, but most is not worth the effort and illegal stuff is absolutely never considered...

WOW!! That is awesome! Good for you and happy tying.

That is quite the find, congrats and happy tying.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

That’s good fortune right there!

A tier ( who shall go nameless ) on this forum gifted me a legal piece recently, THANK YOU !

I am still searching for just the right flys to Use it on.

Any suggestions?

SCG

Congratulations! It must be payback for good karma. It couldn't have gone to a better guy. Please post photos of some of the patterns you use it on. I have a tiny one square inch of Polar Bear fur in my collection which I picked up years ago. When I happen to tie a pattern that suggests polar bear fur, I use white fur from a striped skunk which is the closest I've found (but not really that close). Well done.

Jim

To be legal the bear had to have been taken prior to the 1972 Marine Mammals Protection Act.
    you need to label each fly with the harvest date ha ha!

anyway

love to see the material.. so cool

Be safe - sm
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    you need to label each fly with the harvest date ha ha!

anyway

love to see the material.. so cool

Be safe - sm
    Hope that was in jest... Have spoken to USFWS Officers a number of times about such and that is not their belief. But seeing the CA thing, that may very well change the local attitude. I believe CA law says you cannot even have pre-'72 polar bear there. Many AK living rooms would horrify a CA officer... between ivory, baleen, Native crafts with polar bear and sea otter fur... and much more.

It is all good as far as I care. No offense taken, intended, or even hinted at.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Congratulations! It must be payback for good karma. It couldn't have gone to a better guy. Please post photos of some of the patterns you use it on. I have a tiny one square inch of Polar Bear fur in my collection which I picked up years ago. When I happen to tie a pattern that suggests polar bear fur, I use white fur from a striped skunk which is the closest I've found (but not really that close). Well done.

Jim
    Polar bear from below in a test tank and good light is really impressive. Skunk is nice, but not close in the light.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stcroixguy View Post
    That’s good fortune right there!

A tier ( who shall go nameless ) on this forum gifted me a legal piece recently, THANK YOU !

I am still searching for just the right flys to Use it on.

Any suggestions?

SCG
    A very popular fly here with much history is the Alaska Mary Ann. I tie many, many of them. Most of the display box collections I have done include an AMA.

One strong suggestion is to tie it in backward and fold it back and tie down. If you build the body over the hair butts it will not slip out. Wolverine is almost equally slippery, BTW.

I found a video on tying the Alaska Mary Ann, nice looking streamer, I would think it would be good on the Chattahoochee where shad come through the spillway into the start of the trout inhabited part of the river.

https://youtu.be/KrTynxuMGBw
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread