+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay at home ...

I tried it one time, but my wife quick put a stop to it.
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

If no yeast then make Unleavened bread!!!!

Larry ---sagefisher---

Lightbulb Heads up

I baked the half bread flour and half whole wheat flour loaf on either 4-24 or 4-25.

As usual, I left the bread out on the kitchen counter, which served as a good experiment on how long it would last without going bad.

The answer, in this case, is six or seven days, as evidenced by the start of mold detected this morning.

I didn't have any mold issue on the first loaf ( bread flour only ) but I don't know how long it was between baking and finishing that loaf.

For future reference, if you are not going to finish a loaf in a matter of days, it might be well to freeze half the loaf to avoid spoilage.

John
    The fish are always right.

Maybe some raisins or apricots?

You'll have to find a FAR better type of mold for any home-made bread around here....life expectancy of a warm loaf is hours, not days.
    ....lee s.

Lightbulb Something different ...

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    One very BIG problem now, NO YEAST
    ... requiring no yeast.

A while back, I ran across an oatmeal cake recipe which makes an oatmeal cake enhanced with raisins, cranberries, and apricots. The raisin and cranberry flavors do tend to get lost in the mix, but the apricots really stand out.

You can search YouTube for "Easy and healthy oatmeal cake recipe" by The Cooking Foodie.

The recipe includes honey, which I decided not to use, and coconut oil, for which I substituted canola oil. The prep time is about 30 minutes and the baking time is about 40 minutes. The recipe makes 8 reasonably sized servings.

I spun off the original to make what I call a Chockleberry version. Left out the original fruits and substituted dark chocolate chips and wild huckleberries left over from last summers picking. Delicious - and really healthy.

John

I've been making bread for about 15 years. I made a sourdough starter about 10 years ago and do most of my bread as sourdough (wild yeasted) now. Sourdough takes longer from beginning to end, but no more hands on time. I've pretty much gotten to the point that I rarely buy bread. I make a 75% whole wheat sourdough loaf every week for sandwiches and toast. I make a crusty sourdough loaf for eating with soups or stews. I also make pizza crusts, bread sticks, focaccia, cinnamon rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    I've been making bread for about 15 years. I made a sourdough starter about 10 years ago and do most of my bread as sourdough (wild yeasted) now. Sourdough takes longer from beginning to end, but no more hands on time. I've pretty much gotten to the point that I rarely buy bread. I make a 75% whole wheat sourdough loaf every week for sandwiches and toast. I make a crusty sourdough loaf for eating with soups or stews. I also make pizza crusts, bread sticks, focaccia, cinnamon rolls.
    John -

Your 75% whole wheat sour dough loaf would be a real treat. Do you have any good tips on how to "start", maintain, and use the sourdough starter ??

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    John -

Your 75% whole wheat sour dough loaf would be a real treat. Do you have any good tips on how to "start", maintain, and use the sourdough starter ??

John
    Bread baking is a lot like fly fishing or fly tying in that it's basically pretty simple, but it tends to be shrouded in it's own unique, and perhaps mysterious, language. Sourdough take a little more patience and planning, but is not really any harder than regular yeast bread.

I've been through a number of bread books, but the one that I would recommend for beginning sourdough baking is the following. It includes instructions for creating and maintaining a starter and good recipes for many styles of sourdough loaves.
    https://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Sourdough-Made-Simple-Handcrafted/dp/1624144292.

My "75% whole wheat sourdough loaf" is adapted from another recipe in this book:

Mix:
    360g whole wheat flour
    120g bread flour
    9g salt
    9g vital wheat gluten
    30g vegetable oil
    30g sugar
    150g sourdough starter
    300g warm tap water

Rest 45m
    Stretch and fold, rest 15m -- repeat 3 times
    Rest 6-8 hours
    Shape in oiled loaf pan
    Rest 1-2 hours
    Slash
    Bake 40m at 375F

I/we have not bought a loaf of bread from a store in over 5 years. We make all our own bread, english muffins, pizza dough, etc from sourdough starter. Use only 1 cup of starter, 2-3 cups water, rye flour....enough to suit oneself. oh...and 2 tsps salt. Made our own starter per a recipe....flour and water....feed it every day for 5 days....becomes starter. Will share more of our breadmaking if anyone interested. Simple recipe for making ones own starter...bread...etc. BTW....interesting....I read it in print.....apparently a fact....that the process of fermenting...ie...sourdough bread....lowers the amount of gluten from....pls forgive....cannot remember the exact number of the high side.....but bottom line pretty impressive.....reduces the amount of gluten from 176,000 or 186,000 parts per whatever....to TWO DIGITS....yes....from that huge number to TWELVE..... Yes....I said reduces the amount of gluten from 170,000+ to 12!
    just fyi.....jim

+ Reply to Thread