+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This sounds cheap, but...

Default This sounds cheap, but...

Hi all,
    Today there was a grand opening on a new outdoor shop near my home. The shop has everytihng from packs, to bows, to flytying. They actually have a surprisingly good fly tying selection, one I would expect from a fly shop. I bought a chinese pheasant breat for $8.00, is this cheap? or just the norm. I just got into tying so I'm still not sure on the prices of everything. I also found a vice I would like to buy, a full-rotary with pedistal. Would you recomend C-clamp style vices, over pedistal vices.

Thanks for any input- David

------------------
    You'll Have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel
    - Homer J. Simpson

[This message has been edited by Flytyer317 (edited 11 June 2005).]

Hi David,
    Congratulations and welcome to fly tying! You know it is an incurable disease, don't you? As bad as fishing, really!
    You can get a idea about good prices by checking the Hook and Hackle site: hookhack.com. They are about the lowest prices I know. Also, look for bargains on e-Bay.
    John

Welcome to the wonderful craziness of fly tying. Uhh, word of caution. Be careful with those 'bargains' on ebay.

Allan

David, I like pedestal as I said on your other thread. I find it easy to manouver the fly around; I can push it further away from my body which helps my back; I can take it away with me without wondering if my vice will fit on 'their' table; I don't damage my own dining table by screwing to it; I just pick up the whole thing to move if I have to, like to move it or show the fly to somebody; and I have never had a problem with stability. Welcome to tying by the way, hope you enjoy yourself.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

David, If you buy the clamp model- often cheaper- you can always get a perfectly functional pedestal base from Cabelas or others for 10.00... I usually use the pedestal, but the clamp is nice for the steering wheel of the truck etc. Also, at a show I attended, I saw a person using the Renzetti traveler on a pedestal. The tier explained that he liked the clamp model's higher stem- even on the pedestal. It worked that way for me too. If you are looking at the Medallion, the C-clamp is alot less expensive, but their brass base Model is classy looking... for about 75.00....more...

[This message has been edited by backbeach (edited 11 June 2005).]

I prefer pedestal......MT Mongoose....but...icw comments buy the BEST vice you can afford? That is what people try to do. They just have a hard time determining WHICH IS THE BEST VICE....in their price range. Flytier....Danvise can be had for $80 I think...and you can get videos that teach how to tie on that vice. If you go up to top and click on SEARCH and enter Which Vise and select "SUBJECT' on you will find three threads on the topic of which vice. One of them has the link to the fly fisherman's review by Hans which is excellent reading.

Good Luck, my torture with it is over.

Jim

Welcome to fly tying. The pheasant breast you bought is a might on the expensive side. I would think they should go for about $3.00 at the most. Maybe you can get in touch with a few hunters in your area and they will give them to you for free or a few flies. Ron

I like c-clamp vises better than pedestal models. I often tie with pets and or children around and my table gets bumped once in a while. C-clamps often come with a longer post and you can completely adjust the height. Some of the pedestal vises don't allow for height adjustment.

The best advice before buying a vise is to try it out. Tell the sales people that you don't want to drop the money on an expensive (or not) vise before you know if you're going to like it. Tie a few flies trying to use any features available on the vise. Does it feel awkward? Try another model.

I tie on an HMH Spartan rotary and I love that vise. Full lifetime warranty comes with the pricetag.
    ------------------
    Let it go and let it grow.

[This message has been edited by SheTies (edited 12 June 2005).]

I have been told Thompson went out of business.....so I wouldn't be buying any of their older vices. The Griffing Patriot and MT Mongoose come with both c-clamp and pedestal. I use the pedestal, and add the c-clamp post added on to the pedestal standrod for more height. I haven't had a prob with tipping over.....yet. Just FYI....probably once you get a good vice...be it Danvise, Peak, or the Dingo.....(I Wish)...or the Dyna's etc.....once you learn on it you will probably like it. I have a canvas bag with lots of outside pockets all way around. It is not a bag but more like an old fashioned gym bag in that it stands up. I have all the pockets filled with material and hooks. I just pick up my pedestal vice and set in in the bag, pick up the bag by the handles and go set it in the truck. Pretty handy. One man's feast is another man's fodder. Good Luck

Just FYI

Jim

+ Reply to Thread