+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The End of an Era

Hybrid View

Default The End of an Era

For anyone that has been a fly fisher for any length of time are familiar with the name Dan Bailey's. Dan's fly shop in Livingston, Montana was a shrine for fly fishers for nearly 75 years. I had the privilege of working for Dan in the mid-70's. He was a great man and it was a privilege to have known him. After his death his son John took over the business. Now, for the first time since its inception someone else besides a Bailey owns the shop. Dale Sexton, a local business owner in Livingston, has purchased the business. Dale worked in the shop in the 80's and owned business dealing in bicycles and outdoor gear just down the street from Bailey's. He plans to continue the Bailey tradition of quality fly fishing tackle and material.

That's good to know in my opinion. When I first started tying in the '70s, I purchased allot of materials from Dan since he was one of the best known dealers. I must add that my wife and I finally visited Montana 2 years ago and I just had to stop by his store. The only clerk in the store was a young fellow who was very timid and basically knew nothing. To say the least, I was disappointed in that experience given my past experiences with Dan Bailey's. So, bottom line, I am very happy that it may be on the comeback. Best of luck to the new owner!!
    God Bless America

Perhaps a bit of off/on topic, i had the same sentimental experience in Jackson Wy. at was once Jack Dennis Sports- now JD High Country Outfitters . . Once a go-to for "stuff and advice", but now........ Perhaps a bit of the "great ole" is missing but they are trying and I wish them well. Not too far from the Cowboy Bar and the Wort ( yes "Wort") Hotel either in case the fishin is slow.

Mark

I wonder if Dale Sexton is any relation to Zac Sexton.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Great to hear its staying open, i bought a lot of materials via their catalogs over the years. Always had great
    Custom service.

+ Reply to Thread