+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook Size

Hybrid View

Default Hook Size

A question was asked on another forum about finding an accurate hook size chart. It reminded me that I have noticed that Firehole hooks are not sized correctly. I use the example of Firehole's size #16, 316 hooks compared to the TMC 2487 size #16 hooks which are very similar. The difference in actual size I striking. I would say the Firehole #16 is more like a size 12. Has anyone else noticed this? Their size #12 hooks look like #10.
    God Bless America

Sure have and you're right.

Blog Entries

There are no standards...

I used mustad for hook sizing as a standard for years. somewhere around 2010 or so they resized to supposedly get to the standard the all other manufacturers were using. I still haven't gotten over that one yet. if I start tying some wet flies and run out of the old style 3906, grab a box of new size 3906 and they are different. if you go from manufacturer to manufacturer, they are different. throw in 1x, long, 2x wide gap, etc. and when you ask some one what size flie they are using, you really don't know what size he really has tied on. I have seen a number of comparison charts the supposedly will give you manufacturer style comparisons, but like you said one manufacturer is different than the other.

bottom line is the standardis their is no standard

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    A question was asked on another forum about finding an accurate hook size chart. It reminded me that I have noticed that Firehole hooks are not sized correctly. I use the example of Firehole's size #16, 316 hooks compared to the TMC 2487 size #16 hooks which are very similar. The difference in actual size I striking. I would say the Firehole #16 is more like a size 12. Has anyone else noticed this? Their size #12 hooks look like #10.

Makes them easier to tie on, in a givin size. I like it.

+ Reply to Thread