+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small midge hooks

Default Small midge hooks

Where do you guys & gals order your small hooks from. I am interested in suppliers and brand name for hooks from 20 to 32ies . Toes tiemco or Partridge hold fish better than mustad. I am very interested in the replies.
    Thank you

John <((((((><
    Fish like predator.

JAd,

I've been using Mustad hooks for a little more than 40 years now and have no complaints about them. The only time I use anything else is if a pattern calls for a specific hook, otherwise I substitute an appropriate Mustad hook.

I order my hooks from Hook and Hackle, a fine sponsor of this site. I can get 100 hook box of Mustad dry fly hooks for less than I'd pay for 50 Tiemco hooks. I don't feel as bad when I snag a limb and lose a fly when they're inexpensive.

You might want to check out Hook and Hackle at [url=http://www.hookhack.com.:7e48c]www.hookhack.com.[/url:7e48c] I believe they still have a 20% discount for on-line orders.

REE

I second that motion Ree, a fine crowd to deal with.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Thanks Guys
    I also use Mustad Hooks ,
    I have been tying some 28 Jassids on mustads and they seemed a little soft,It got me wondering about brands? I found out that tiemco hooks have a little wider gap for the same size, other than that Mustad will probably be the hook.

John <(((((><
    Fish like predator.

JAd,

If you're using the Mustad 94840 or 94842 you might want to try the 94859. Same hook but straight eye, I hope I have the model #s right. Anyway, the tiny hook with a straight eye.

Allan

I use and swear by Daiichi 1110's in sizes 20-26. Oversized ring eye, oversize gap, perfect bend, regular length shank, micro barb. The bigger eye helps the bad eyes thread the hook. I also use them for glass bead head midges. Even the tiniest beads can slip over a regular sized eye on a midge hook in small sizes; the bigger eyes prevent that from happening. The wider gap helps in hook-ups as does the straight eye. I get my Daiichi hooks from Lines End; great prices and service:
    [url=http://www.linesend.com/:a32ec]http://www.linesend.com/[/url:a32ec]

In sizes 28-32 I use Tiemco 518?s. They are OK but I still don?t understand why Tiemco feels that a hook that small needs a 1X short shank, jeez there ain?t much shank to begin with. I also think the eyes should be oversized especially on a 32! Other than that I like them. For midge curved shank hooks I use Tiemco 2488, an excellent hook. I get my Tiemco hooks from my local fly shop.

+ Reply to Thread