+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Tyers

Default Commercial Tyers

Anyone that ties flies commercially here is a question for you?

How much do you guys mark your flies up after material cost? Could anyone send me some price lists or examples. I might have a chance to start tying for some stores if I relocate. You can send me an email if you do not wish to share over the board. Thanks.

Seege

Typically shops tell you what they pay.

Hi Seege,

L William is right; in most situations the fly shop will tell you what they pay. Most fly shops expect a Keystone markup on their flies (if they plan on staying in business) which is 50%. In this situation a fly they sell for $2.00 they would pay $1.00 for it. Out of that $1.00 you would pay for your materials, overhead, income tax, state tax, and Federal Excise Tax as indicated by fishbum.

You question was more directed at what we charge. As Gretchen and I have gotten older (and more recognized in the fly fishing world) our fly prices have risen so we can maintain a balance between what we can/want to produce and the demand. I'm not listing all of our prices but for example one of our favorite flies to tie is the Humpy in it's various configurations. We charge $48.00 per dozen and keep as busy as we want. The Muddle May is $75.00 per dozen; obviously we don't have as many customers for this fly. We can tie about ten to twelve Humpies per hour and seven or eight Muddle Mays. Our per/hour income is about the same no matter which we are tying. By the way, Federal Excise Tax is based on the LOWEST price charged for flies not the actual. We have one customer we sell to who gets the flies at a much reduced rate which provides a lower base on which to pay the 10% tax for all the other flies we sell - totally legal by the way. We learned this way of reducing Federal Excise Tax from the IRS in a class they taught about ten years ago at an industry show.

I hope this information is helpful. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:96989]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:96989]

Geez Al, now that was something I did not know (about the excise tax)! THANK-YOU!!!!!!!

$48/dozen..holy mackeral!!

Thanks Al and the rest who responded. I forgot about paying taxes and all of that other stuff. Lots of things to consider as I would not want to get rich doing it just something to keep me acitvely involved.

Seege

Fireman,

I do not do it to make a living. I also guide and I have a wife who is gainfully employed. I'd be hesistant to get to the point where I was forced to tie 8 hours daily, or more. It's not in my personality to be that rigid.

Along with payment for the product usually comes some sort of retail discount so you can factor that in. Unless you tie on a huge scale (or gets Al's cost per dozen ) then taxes are really not that bad. The hardest part is finding someoen in the IRS who can help you get started! Figure that you'll get paid somewhere between $10 and $15 per dozen depending on fly and shop, more if no other perks are offered.

But I love to tie flies and with each dozen my skills grow. It's not for everyone, but there is a "neatness factor" when you realize that your flies may be catching fish anywhere in the world. It pays for toys and materials and is a heckuva lot of fun. Just keep it within your capabilities. Shops want bins full of flies that look the same and meet thier demands. I know how fast I can tie and how many hours a day I want to spend tying. The folks I tie for rarely crunch me so I can schedule everything pretty easy. I am VERY careful not to overextend myself. Repeated quality is the key.

KUDOS to all the shops who still use domestic tiers at double the rate or more of buying overseas.

I am shocked that someone would pay 48 bucks for a dozen flies.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

Bostonangler -

They aren't paying $48 for a dozen flies. They are paying $48 for a dozen flies tied by Al & Gretchen Beatty. That is the difference.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:b8b48]Warmwater Angler[/url:b8b48]

No offense to anyone but I would not pay that if Jesus himself tied those humpies.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

Al's flies are worth it. I bought a few (not a dozen) just to check them out and they are so very well made, colorful and perfect.

Al, You could charge even more

+ Reply to Thread