+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conranch Hackle

What is your best color for the JV Hens to use for soft hackles?

Is this Cree worth having?

I like the blacks and browns--but that is just because I have never had the opportunity use any other colors in the small pack of patridge feathers I have on hand.

Thanks for the assistance.

Shmang

I have had quite a bit of success this year with soft hackles tied with Denny's Grizzly jv hen

Do you mind me asking what size soft hackles you are tying with those JV Hens?

Hello BigFlatBrook,

I have tied size 32 soft hackles on Tiemco hooks (no Hans, not Mustad 32 yet) with the JV hen hackle. You can see one perched on the hook "barb" of my Raptor, an FOTW.

Overall, you can comfortably tye in the 20s with Conranch JV hens. Yes, the cree hen is a real little beauty.

I use JV hens exclusively for my soft hackles; I just like the life-like undulating effect of the hackle underwater compared to upland gamebird feathers. Just a personal preference.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

I tie a tan soft hackle that I have used with decent success in a Hendricksen hatch running it through the riffles. I grease the leader right down to about an inch above the fly. I have used a black soft hackle, brown, blue dun and another dun that is such a pale blue that it's almost white. I use browns, grey, olive and yellow dubbing for bodies. I have an assortment of sizes from 12's and 14's to 18's and 20's. Experiment. There's enough information on soft hackles here on FAOL that you could probably fish any hatch. Do a Google search for Flymphs and see what goodies you'll come up with. As far as partridge, I'm slowly phasing out of partridge and will eventually use nothing but Denny's JV hen for my soft hackles.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

[This message has been edited by maddog48 (edited 08 June 2005).]

Another happy customer od Conranch hackles!! Its the only ones I buy due to the excellent quality and service.

Thanks Denny and Liz.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

I emailed Denny today about his JV Hen Hackle asking for some suggestions and several questions. Here is his nice reply:
    Thanks for your interest in our JV hens. They are as good as the glowing reports would have you thinking.

If I were to be allowed only one color it would have to be the dark Blue Dun (Old Darby color) that has the black laced edge.

My second choice would be the more pale Blue dun with the chocolate laced edge.

Then would be the medium brown as they more closely resemble the Hun Partridge.

I thought others might appreciate reading his suggestions.

I am also elated with him taking the time to share info and to answer all my goof ball questions. Many places would not DEMONSTRATE the service that he did. You can really tell he walks the walks in customer focus action and appreciates us tiers. Others have written of Denny's great treatment and I concur that he is a quality person.

I cant wait for my early Fathers Day present!

Take care,
    Shmang

I do not know where to begin with Denny and Liz. Two of the absoulte best people you could ever meet. The hackle that they produce is second to none in my opinion. Deeny stayed with me here during the Smallmouth Rendezous and taught me more about hackle than I could ever imagine. I will not buy any hackle from anyone else unless i have too (Denny does not dye all of his hackle is natural color) I would HIGHLY recommend his hackle to anyboby of any skill level.

Toby "Antron Midge"

Richard,

Thanks for the info regarding Conranch JV Hens -- that's pretty small!

BigFlatBrook

PS. If you haven't conducted your cold water experiments yet, let me give you a hint -- the rainbows at the Little Lehigh like the black size 10 alien. But I haven't tried any as small as 14 yet.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 08 June 2005).]

A little timeline on my experience in ordering from Denny: I ordered from Denny about noon on Wednesday and the JV Hen Necks were here at my home this afternoon!

That is from the Pacific NW to Ohio in two days--so count me as a happy camper with his great service!

I have already made up a half dozen soft hackle patterns this evening and that JV Hackle really is sweet. I like that the stems are friendly and not brittle at all which allows me to tie more efficiently. There is a extra shine to the feathers too that is hard to describe--it just seems like there is an extra eye appeal to the hackle that I like. Others have mentioned that these feathers breath in the water well; I have not fished them yet but so far they pass my "eye" test with flying colors.

I will be trying them out in the morning on some bull bluegills and will let you know how the JV Hen Hackle performs in the water.

Thanks Denny for a superior product and excellent service.

Take care,
    Shmang

+ Reply to Thread