+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hen Pheasant Wing Quills

Default Hen Pheasant Wing Quills

Have been searching for hen pheasant quills among the suppliers I know about, but don't find any listed. There were some sources in the UK, but prefer not to order from overseas.

Does anywone know a source here in the US for these quills? What would be a good substitute if not available.

Just started getting into tying some wet flies and a lot of patterns call for these quills, so need a source.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

E-Bay has some skins w/wings for sale. You could also try English Angling Trappings:

English Angling Trappings
    One Apple Blossom Lane
    New Fairfield, CT 06812
    (203) 746-1348

Actually if you do an internet search, you should get a few more hits for other flyshops. You could probably use partridge or grouse for substitute. Happy tying.

Regards,
    ScottP
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Coffin Creek Furs in Iowa, great folks to deal with and they don't mind small orders. If you don't see what you are looking for on the web site give them a call, they often have stuff that didn't make it onto the web page.

[url=http://www.flytyingfurs.com/:a05b0]http://www.flytyingfurs.com/[/url:a05b0]

Jim Krul sold his English Angling Trappings business to the Angler's Den fly shop in Pawling, NY. [url=http://www.anglers-den.com/pages/780051/index.htm:47eee]http://www.anglers-den.com/pages/780051/index.htm[/url:47eee]

I used to order from Jim often. EAT's customer service has really gone down hill since he sold the business. I placed an order over a month ago. After several weeks without a response I emailed them, and then did so again each week thereafter. Finally, being frustrated by the lack of response, I called. It turned out that I had transposed a couple of digits on my credit card number. Did they call or email (I had supplied both phone number and email address)? Noooo....

Stu

sucks to hear of EAT's demise.....(for me) thats how it is.....
    delt with them a few times and always had great service...I'll now have to ponder weather I'll do so in the future...Thanks for the heads up Stu.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Thanks for the info on the feathers.

I did find a source, but it is not a fly-tying outfit. Found them at [url=http://www.mikesfalconry.com:e5a3a]www.mikesfalconry.com[/url:e5a3a] and he sells them to be used as falcon lures.

They have not come yet, but will let everone know what I think of them when they do.

Also thanks for the heads up on EAT. Will have to be careful ordering from them in the future.

Bob

Just to follow up on EAT -- today, after 6 weeks, my order arrived.

One of the items I ordered was a #1 AmGold center tail -- a spendy item at $75. What I got instead was an ordinary Golden Pheasant tail clump which would not pass as a #3 -- the center featerhs are tattered and look like the may have been used to tie from.

Very, very disappointing. It's on its way back, along with an unhappy letter and a request for a refund.

Stu

Stu

I'm very pleased to announce that Coffin Creek (Fly Tying Furs) is our newest Sponsor.
    We have been working with them for some time - there new Sponsor page should be up this week. Unlike some companies, there is no 'pig in a poke' with them. You place your order, they send it, with an invoice. If you are happy send your payment. Not happy?
    Send it back.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Looking forward to seeing the Coffin Creek sponsor page. They not only have a good variety of furs but they have feathers too!

Robert T, they have pheasant wings for $1.50

I just may have to place an order for some fur I need. It's amazing that they are so trusting. It's also very nice!

------------------
    Joe

Just got the hen pheasant wings from the falconer guy yesterday and am very pleased with them. Nice matched set of wings and in very good shape.

Why is it so hard to find good quality in such common items such as hen pheasant? Most of my catalogs don't even list hen pheasant. The catalogs that have whole pheasant skins also say "Less tail and wings". Yet, they don't offer the wings and only the male tails. OK OK I will stop the moaning.

Will have to check out the new sponser soon.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread