+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Feathers

Default Turkey Feathers

Anyone have any fly patterns they can think of that use turkey feathers. Ive just come into a whole shopping bag of feathers from a buddies last hunt hand plucked. Its probably going to take me a few days to sort them all out but it was very much appreciated.

Thanks

I use turkey feathers for a couple of patterns:

the pheasant tail nympth: just substitute turkey for a darker fly

the SHWAPF: it's in the Beginning tying section here on FAOL. works great with turkey feathers
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I like to knot the tail feathers either with a bobbin threading tool or with a pair of hemostats. Hemostats work better. I use the knotted ones for hopper legs and they work great. Also the marabou from turkey is great for all kinds of things. Also work well for wing cases on bigger stonefly nymphs like an epoxey back or something.

Here's a link to a thread I started a little while back on the subject.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/003602.html:93198]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/003602.html[/url:93198]

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Tail feathers make great dark brown nymph wing cases for many generic nymph patterns.

Wing feathers are used for hoppers and Muddler Minnows which can be used for hoppers in a pinch.

Hopper and muddler wings.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

Hi Fireman,

The Cate's Turkey is one of my favorite tailwater patterns. The recipe is listed below:

Cate's Turkey
    Hook: Mustad 94840/5, #14 to #20
    Thread: Black
    Tail: Mallard dyed woodduck or the real thing
    Rib: Gold wire
    Body: Section of mottled turkey quill, wrapped around the hook
    Head: Peacock herl, 2 or 3 turns
    Hackle: Mallard dyed woodduck or the real thing, tied beard style

Another really great pattern is made by substituting turkey for pheasant tail when tying a Pheasant Tail Nymph. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:df766]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:df766]

Use 2-3 white tipped tail fibers for my variation on a Brooks' Sprout emerger

Hook: light wire scud hook
    Thread: black or dark brown
    Rib: optional- 1 strand of krystal flash or other shiny lightweight stuff
    Parachute hackle: grizzly
    Parachute post: Rainy's parachute post or thin foam packing paper (we've tried craft foam with little success)

Tie post on an eye length behind the eye. Wrap back to the bend covering the butt of the post with thread. Tie the rib and turkey on. Point the white tips down the bend of the hook and leave a small length free for the tails of the fly. Bring the thread back to the head. Wrap the turkey up to the head as you would for a pheasant tail nymph. Secure with a turn or two of thread and clip excess.
    Rib up to the post. Tie and trim. Tie the hackle on and off on the post. Et voila!

Can be tied without tails and in a bunch of different colors. We learned it at the Dakota Angler in Rapid City with a thread or dubbed body, I vaguely recall. It was terrific for the BWO hatch we fished in the rain on Rapid Creek. With a red thread body, white hackle and post, it passed as a midge emerger in place of a Serendipity in Alberta. But I digress.

The wild turkeys passing thru the yard at the B&B where we stayed in Hill City left us a couple of feathers, so I incorporated them into the method we'd learned in Rapid City and felt like the whole experience was richer for it. Especially when we caught fish!

Thanks for the patterns guys. I havent had a chance to sort through them yet but will more than likely get rid of some. I will post here and give you guys first shot when the time comes.

Seege

Seege, I think I still have your address but if not could you e-mail it to me again. I have a turkey fly I tied t hat has been extremely effective with bass. I use a V-section cut from the short feathers -- you'll just have to see it. I'll tie up a couple and send them to you. JGW

+ Reply to Thread