+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about using Craft Fur

Default Question about using Craft Fur

Hi Folks,
    I am wondering about how to use the crafts fur when tying saltwater patterns. Is this material cut off from the fabric backing as one would with natural fur from a pelt/hide or is it used with a portion of the backing material still attached. Thanks in advance for your help. I have been under the weather a bit for the past month and unable to drive but if possible, planning a trip to my fly shop next week where hopefully I can purchase the how-to books I need along with some of the newer saltwater materials and best of all talk to the guys over there and learn a bit from them.

Hi gerri,

I cut it off the fabric/hide to use it but I suppose it could be used on the fabric as well. I just have not tried that. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:5099d]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:5099d]

gerri,
    You can pinch the Craft Fur close-in to the backing and cut it free to use it just like acrtic fox fur, or Squirrel and Calf tail.

You can also use a razor blade and slice strips from it and wrap/bind those on hooks too.. If you cut those strips (from the back side of the fur) on a bias, when you stretch the strips they neck-down in size and are pretty stout. These Cross Cut strips will lend a nice look and action to minnow bodies. Be careful to cut carfully just barely through the burlap and not into the fur. However, the backing on the craft fur is not too stout and you have to be gentle with the strips; as they tear and distort easily.

Too improve the handling of them, you can iron plastic sheeting (such as olefin or poly-E) into the backing of the craft fur and that will stabilize it and allow you to cut strips that can be used exactly like you would Zonker Strips. You need a wax paper inbetween so you don't melt the plastic on your iron I do this when tying flies for export for friends in Austrailia. Craft Fur makes an excellent substitute for "Hair". AU has strict laws on importation of animal fur products...

I like using the premium, extra length craft furs supplied by the fly shops better than the craft store variety. The fly shop grades can be found in those real fishy colors too. Anyway-just have fun with it. Craft fur is neat stuff and it is also very inexpensive.

Rich

I use the craft fur off the backing most of the time like it was deer fur. Cut it from the backing and pick out the underfur {short fibers} just like you do for deer tail. It makes great saltwater streamers that have lots of movement for chasing Coho and Kings with.
    Mostly I tie deceivers tied with the craft fur with white underwings and pink overwings with ginger saddle hackle and some purple icicle flash in the middle. The flies have a head of hard as nails and black felt pen eyes to finish it off. I have found the felt pen eyes work just as well as the stick on eyes. This has become one of my go to flies in Puget Sound. This fly got me some 30 fish plus days on Puget Sound in the summer and fall months.

That being said I have also used a few times some craft fur on the backing for Steelhead flies and used it like you would rabbit skin strips. I made some nice and simple pink worms for the Sky and Skagit rivers this way.

One note I will add. Craft fur does not take a kool-aid dye at all. Trust me on this I tried.

We saw a tyer use CF by cutting small strips of differing colors, rolling two or more strips together before snipping from the backing, and creating some interesting blends.
    .......lee s.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Gerri,

I really like craft fur as a winging material for Clousers and other big flies. When I bought a bunch of salt water Polar Fibre at John B's Fly and Light Tackle Shop in Stuart, Florida, John was kind enough to demonstrate its use on several flies. He cuts the fibers from the backing. He also holds the cut fibers in the middle of their length and brushes the fibers several times to get rid of the short pieces. I have pretty much followed John's lead. I used a pet brush to get rid of the short fiber. Save those short fibers and give them a whirl in your coffee grinder. The craft fur blends well and makes wonderful dubbing. Great material, all the way around!

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 07 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread