Hans,
For me,in my own experience,I've caught and "landed" more fish with up turned eyes on the really small spectrum of the dry fly hooks...any gain in hooking ability is a major plus especially down around say size 26... the distance of the overall lenth of the hook in these hooks alone,make for alot less area of travel time for the point to grab something to hold onto, ever lay a 26 beside a 12?..and think of just how little there is left after tying on material's,even the knot you use can play a role in missed strikes and or lost fish after the fact.I like how an upturned eye offsets all that well out of the way of the barb,and I feel the line of pull helps aginst the pressure of the fishes closed mouth,To give a firmer hold and deeper grasp of that tiny point,and wheather this is viewd as a "Heresy" or not, Unless I am fishing "Catch & Release,Flyfishing barbless hooks ONLY" water.
I WILL NOT Debarb a hook of size 24 or smaller...

these are just MY thoughts and maybe food for thought...Not trying at all or, wanting a lecture on "what I should think" or where I'm "so way off"... Rouge scholar I'm not!
nor have I or do I design hooks...

------------------
"I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill