Thread: Swopper Popper

Threaded View

Default Swopper Popper

I got the idea for this pattern over on FaceBook from a talented guy named Graham Weakley, so I thought I'd play around with the idea. This popper system will allow me to very quickly change the look and action of the flies without having to completely change the fly. I mess around with his ideas and came up with a solution that looks like it's going to work well for me. (see the attached photo). I used a size 3.2 x 2 MM stainless steel flat chain the has the links soldered as the trailer. This is available from Etsy for about $8 for 10 feet. This stuff is VERY strong and very limber in the water since it is actually made to be worn as a neck chain. Think about how a small-linked neck chain gets when it is made into a small pile and you'll get the idea of how limber this stuff is. I used split rings to attach a treble hook to one end of the chain and a Mustad Fastach clip on the other end for quick changes. To make the popper head, I used Fishskull links pushed through the popper heads and glued in place. You can dress the popper heads and trailers anyway you want and this system actually allows me to swap from a slider head to a popper head by just reversing the popper head. Anyway, I thought I share what I was doing with Graham Weakley's idea in case anyone else is getting cabin fever and needs some time at the bench just fooling around.

Jim Smith

Swopper Popper.jpg
    Last edited by James Smith; 02-09-2020 at 09:34 PM.