+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Arbor Reels; Are they worth the high Price?

Default Wide Arbor Reels; Are they worth the high Price?

I have just purchased a new rod 5 weight. I am presently looking for a new reel to go with it. I would like to hear your opinions on wide arbor reel. The reel that I do purchase, I will be using it and will keeping it(if I like it)for a long time. My old system is #7 and that is all I have been using for the last few decades. Wide arbor reels are new to me and I do not want to put out good money for something that will not hold up, or that I can get for less.

2. Default

I like Arbors. I own four of them.

From the size of the rod you plan on arming it with, you may not want to bother. Unless of course you plan on running into fish that are a little larger than usual.

I would suggest a Harris Solitude. I love mine.

[url=http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44558&hvarTarget=search& hvarAID=&cmCat=3333405:40bb8]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44558&hvarTarg et=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=3333405[/url:40bb8]

I have this on my 5 wt. and like it enough to recommend it. $40.00

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 20 March 2005).]

Here is a link to the most recent discussion on this board on this topic. It covers most of the issues, including effect of different reel geometry.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/012655.html:82bb7]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/012655.html[/url:82bb7]

Use a reel you like. There are many large arbor reels available now for a low as about $40 and some very good ones in the $100-$150 range.

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 20 March 2005).]

I JUST started fly fishing for trout after teaching myself when I was 12....50 years ago on panfish....alone. So I am not very experienced, but.....I have been fishing with the normal standard fly reels. Bought a combo fly fishing outfit....rod, reel, floating line, backing, leader already wound on it. I caught about 100 trout on it this past fall and winter. I didn't even know it had a large arbor reel until I stripped it to put on a sinking fly line. Sounds dumb, but true. I never really considered it, just fished with it. I went to switch it's original floating line to another reel....and on the other reel it was far too short. That's when I found out the reel I took it from was in fact a large arbor reel. A little self defense...I have an electric line winder/unwinder that peeled the line off quite fast...and then saw the large arbor. I had to add quite a bit of backing to get this line onto another reel. Point is, while fishing....I didn't even notice the difference between large arbor and small....or....standard reel.

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

Thank you for all you input. I will let you know what I decided and why. It may help someone else with the same concerns.

I have decided on a reel. The White River CV2 5/6 from Bass Pro Shop. It is a WA. The reason I chose this particular reel is that is light 4.7oz. It will store 85yds of backing, I feel this will do for me as I have very rarely seen my backing (except through the holes in the side of the reel). It also has a disc drag system. I never had one of these before in a fly reel(maybe a new tale after I experience this new technology).

I like a balanced system, so I when to the website who manufacturer the rod I have. The reel that the company match with the rod weighed 4.6oz. The CV2 weighs almost the same.

So....Anyone out there have a CV2 reel, I like to hear from you. Both the pros and the cons, or from anyone with their opinion on my choice

8. Default

I use a Battenkill Large Arbor and love it!!
    Since the spool is very similar in size to what the line came on.....I have little to no coiling at all.
    Altho it's a tad on the heavy side.
    Now Orvis offers a Mid Arbor....price isn't bad at all and a quality made reel.
    Might be worth checking into!!

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Dear Northern Fisher,

I took a look at the CV series of reels the other day and I have to say that I was not impressed.

The fit and finish is certainly good, but the spool is retained by a simple small clip that slides to lock the spool in place. While handling a combo in the store I accidently released the spool several times by brushing against the spool retaining latch.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but I wouldn't own one of these reels if it was free. It is trouble waiting to happen.

There are much better reels available for the same money. You should also consider a used reel like a Ross Cimarron or Scientific Anglers. You can fish with those reels for 20 years and still have a quality reel. I'd never say that about the CV2.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

[This message has been edited by Tim Murphy (edited 22 March 2005).]

I, for one, appreciate yer bluntness.

the key statement in yer post was "you can fish those reels for 20 years and still have a good reel."

that is certainly a factor to consider and one I do w/ every tackle purchase I make.

mgj

+ Reply to Thread