+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curved vs straight shank hooks

Default Curved vs straight shank hooks

Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of the effectiveness of these styles for emerger or other patterns that typically call for curved hooks.

I'm basically intent on streamlining my hook inventory.

Thanks.

Hi,

For many years I used two hook styles; Mustad 94840 (dry & wet) and Mustad 9672 (nymphs & streamers). They served me very well. Today I've been forced to stock several more hook styles but most of my fishing is on the two mentioned above. That said I do use (and like) the curved nymph hook style (TMC 200R)a lot. I just like the way it looks. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:03e82]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:03e82]

Al- I think franky was refering to hooks like the Tiemco 2487 for emergers. I find that they work better for certain types of patterns, especially those that float solely on the wing, with the body just below the surface. The rabbit's foot emerger is a good example. I'm not sure, though, that such patterns outfish the "Quigley cripple" style, where the wing is held vertically abouve the water, and the body is vertical beneath the surface. Those are usually tied on regular dry fly hooks. If I had a (small caliber) gun to my head, and had to eliminate the curved hooks from my armamentarium, I'd do all right.

Chuck

Al,

" I just like the way it looks."

I've got to respond ....even to you.... as far as I'm concerned...and this is not IMHO [I feel strongly about it]...that hook is only for...." I just like the way it looks."....
    It is responsible for TOO MANY NON HOOKUPS...

And this makes my point..."most of my fishing is on the two mentioned above".

E.G. Folks, if you want to hook more fish don't tie your Stimulators with that hook.

I like AL, used just a few hooks trying to keep things to a minium in the tying business. I have found over the years that you can tie the same pattern on different styles of hooks and the fish just don't care. Most flies are tied on different styles of hooks to please the fishermen not the fish.
    I would be willing to bet I can tie and emerger pattern calling for a curved hook, on a stirght shank hook and catch just as many fish.
    They sell more hooks by making people believe they have to have different types of hooks for different flies. In truth if you have a regular shank hook and a long shank hook in a stright style you can tie the new flies on them and catch just as many fish.

I tied scuds for many years before they came out with a hook just for them. Fish didn't seem to care.Same with many other flies.

I will say that some flies look better tied on different styles of hook but like I said I do not believe the fish care much.

And I to like Al have had to buy many new styles of hooks just to please the customers that I tie for. But I still am using hooks that no one wants there flies tied on anymore for my own flies. Like the old Mustads and guess what the fish don't care a bit and I catch a lot of fish on them. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 03 June 2005).]

Thanks guys, yes I was thinking more of the scud/shrimp curved hooks but the curved nymph hooks do look nice. They definitely catch lots of fly tyers, and I guess fly purchasers

I couldn't really tell a difference myself but I haven't been fly tying for too long.

+ Reply to Thread