Dog Days

I typically fish all of my stretches one time during the calendar year. It is a visit the landowner trip. I reaffirm permission and drop off a trout or two if a landowner requests them.

Today I visited a landowner after I was done fishing that I have fished on his land for 25 years. I remember this land owner especially because he has a very friendly black lab that I have been visiting through the years since it was a puppy.

Today when I knocked on the door and gave the landowner a couple trout I asked him where his dog Snickers was. The landowner look down with a sad face and told me that Snickers had passed away this spring. This is the second dog that I was introduced to on this land that has passed away. I was sad for the owner but I bet his pain really ran deep ......14 years having a dog with you non-stop as a farmer has to be heart-wrenching when it passes ... Snickers was a very good dog that loved petting and that loved it's master.

Snickers was buried near the barn where the rest of the pets through the decades have been lovingly laid to rest.

I caught 18 trout today between 6 a.m. at 9 a.m. .

I hope when I visit the same landowner next year he has a new pet to introduce to me.

Losing a dog is like losing a family member.

Snickers, Rusty, Crispy, and Ginger are where all good dogs go.