flymaker2, Yes, I have read the article. I would some day like to fish Grayling and Arctic Char with the man. I recently sold him a furled leader made from horsehair and silk. He inspired me to make it, and he's trying it this weekend.

Hywel, no offense taken. Thanks for the comments. I just get testy about people trashing a great product. Yes, people will purchase and use what they are comfortable with.

As for the thread issues, I would think that the intention is to keep the properties as pure as can be so it can perform it's best when time to make multiple wraps around shanks and tubes. And the ceramic vs stainless issue ... It is not really an issue for most people. How often do people tie with 17/0 thread? Mr. Ekich is an engineer by trade, and has witnessed fine thread melting while using ceramic bobbins. He sells both versions, so it's not as if he's pushing one variety over the other. The polishing process is actually more involved with stainless steel.

As I suggested before, if people do not balk over a $200.00+ vise, why are they giving the Ekich bobbin such a hard time. Lot's of great bobbins out there. Most of them are less than $25.00. When it comes to auto-bobbins, however, the Ekich is a far better product. He's been working with his idea for (I think) 13+ years, and he is a thread geek. He originally made his design for himself -- what he likes in a bobbin -- and decided to patent and sell it.

I think everybody can agree that if one wants an automatic bobbin, they are planning on spending some money. The Norlander is not cheap either. At that point, it's just a matter of preferred design and convenience.