+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bullethead Mania [ Pic ]

Default Bullethead Mania [ Pic ]

Hello all,

Because of all the snow, and a great run-off this year, we're having one of the best Stonefly Seasons we've had in years on my home rivers, and I've been tying some big foam stoneflies, and most of the recipes call for bullet heads. Having only tried this a couple of times, I can tell you, it was difficult at first. I'm a commercial tier and guide who ties 3-4,000 flies per year, so I should be able to do a bullet head well right? Wrong! It took a lot of practice, some frustration, and Charlie Craven's great tutorial on the Rogue Stone.

A couple of things I tried and learned:

1. I had to leave more room for the head than I thought I'd need to avoid crowding the eye.

2. I definately had to cut the hair before spinning it around the shank.

3. I had to use more hair than I thought I'd need to create the large, floating heads I've seen on the sample patterns I was using as models.

4. Using 3/0 Monocord helps to avoid breakage.

5. The hardest part of the entire thing was getting each individual hair to lay aligned, so the head was tight, and uniform. I did this by stroking the hair back with a triangle created by my fingers, and then keeping it tight and in place while I wrapped a couple of loose turns around the head to keep the hairs in place.

I could still use some tips from you all if you have any techniques you use to create perfect ( dare I say the word ) bullet heads. Here's an X-Cicada I tied on a size 10 hook with Rainey's Float Foam. Notice the bottom of the fly is completely round and bulbous, and there is no sign of the hook.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts. [url=http://www.customflys.com:aa385]www.customflys.com[/url:aa385]

[This message has been edited by Riverdancer (edited 31 May 2005).]

I don't want to high jack this thread so you folks go on to answer his questions but the pictures reminded me of something...

The large orange stoneflies that are imitated ...e.i. the Pteronarcys californica...actually have a brownish body with definite stripe of orange segmenting the body....I would suggest a brown foam with orange thread....

Jude, no criticism of you intended...in fact, those are great ties and it helps me to know that a commercial tyer will struggle with such things....I don't feel quite so inadequate ....it is how this fly is almost always presented....do I know if it makes any difference to the fish....I don't.

Ducksterman,

Thanks for the tip. It actually makes perfect sense because many of the natural stones aren't that bright orange. On my home river, they are more of a pale orange/yellow/creme with faint black ribbing. I'll post a picture later.

Do you know what color of brown you preger to use? Is it a lighter brown? Thanks,

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

Go to your local hardware store and buy some clear plastic tubing in three different sizes From small to the larger. They also have it in Pet stores that carry fish. They use it as an air hose.
    When doing the head of the fly spin your hair around the hooks shank as you did. When you are ready to pull the hair back just stick the a piece of tuding over the hooks eye and pusk the hair back to the rear stopping just short of the tie off point. Now just tie off the hair and remove the tube and you are done. No problem with stray hair and getting them all to the rear using the tubing. This is the best trick I can give anyone when tying bullet heads. Been using this one for many years and it will speed your tying time up by a bunch. The tubing is cheap to. LOL. Just cut a piece about an inch long so you can tie the fly off while it is over the hair. Ron

Far be it from me to add to a RonMt post...he is truly one of my idols...no [G]with that one..I mean it...but I would add you can do the same thing with different size straws and they are free....if you keep your eyes open....and watch for different sizes.

P.S. I'd still like to get him to commit to his favorite fly.

Jude,
    The color that matches best here in the NW is the darker brown..again you'd have to fish a lot of hatches with different colors to know if the fish care.

ducksterman- The reason for the rubber tubing is that it is soft. I know about the strews and they do work but at times can cut your thread. That is the reason for the soft rubber tubing. Also the tubing will cost you less than .50 cents. I got three pieces of different sizes from the local hardware store and they just cut off about 4 inches of each size and sold all three sizes to me for less than a half buck. Had enough for four of each size. Can't beat that by to much LOL. Just thought I would let you know why I like and use the tubing. Ron

I value your opinion.

I'llsecond that Duckster.....which is why I now wish I had'nt just spent money on Griffin's "Bullethead Tools"( three hard plastic discks with a rubber type washer streched inside em)which when it cracks and fails...and I know it will...I now know what I'll replace em with..Thanks again Ron......Giver of sound and sage advice...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

hey, those lil' corkers look familiar!

nice tie yo, looks like you got the foam bug too!

------------------
    Tight lines,

Jeremy Barela
    www.customflys.com

+ Reply to Thread