+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Website Regenration

Hybrid View

Default Website Regenration

This message is for the site owners/administrators and current active members. I have been a member of FOAL since 2007 when we actually had to pay a membership fee, as small as it was. I still have the cap. I visit the forum at least once a day because of the valuable information posted by other long time members. However, everything beyond the forum has not been updated for years. I know there are financial implication and administrative cost issues with maintaining the site and I appreciate those sacrifices by the owners to keep the forum. However, I hate to see all the valuable information accumulated over the years not be updated and just die. Do any of you smart members/administrators have any ideas for regenerating the site. (Membership dues/membership drive/donations, etc.) There are sooo many young people out there who need the type information on this site that is not available as concisely as needed in other places. Maybe it's not possible/practical, but wishful thinking and willing to contribute for the sake of all those who went before us and developed the vast amount of original information and spirit of FAOL. Comments?
    God Bless America

John,
    The idea of a "membership fee" has been suggested before and scrapped due to the majority ( those who posted) opinion that it would be counterproductive. Being a member since 04, I don't recall a "had to pay" membership fee. There were several voluntary options, one was the FAOL hat program suggested and "operated" by Betty. I bought FIVE. There was/is also a "Friends of FAOL" option that foe a $25 contribution one would get a FAOL sew-on patch and name posted on a main page list. There was also a "pass the hat" (literally) drive where ONE hat was passed (mailed) around to members who would autograph the hat and send it on including some sort of gift. The intent was to subsequently AUCTION the resultant package , hat and "stuff" to the highest bidder. I don'r recall the exact high bid but I'm thinking about $4000. These/such drives could be re-initiated . It seems though that the easiest/NOW route would be the VOLUNTARY donation to the "Friends of FAOL" list providing that the administration still had or could get the FAOL sew-on patches as a premium for the donation.
    Defense rests.

Mark

Great memory Mark! Now that you mention them, I remember those activities.
    God Bless America

I also joined in 04 and Mark is spot on ....except for the Wyoming thing...I'd rather be in Oregon.

Ducksterman,
    I know, to avoid possibly offending ANYONE, I should have written " I'd rather be in a state on earth" That should have covered the PC agenda. Oh well........ :>)

I have been a member since 08 and also sent in $25. and received a sew on patch, (still stuck to my favorite hoodie), an FAOL car window sticker, (gone when I traded my car off) and a few other items. We had at one time a good number of sponsors, but their numbers have dwindled.
    I'd Like to thank Neal and the other administrators for continuing FAOL after the loss of Ladyfisher. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread