+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bonefish in Hawaii?

Default Bonefish in Hawaii?

Wondering if any one can share their Hawaiian fishing experiences, techniques, flies, etc. I'm going to be on Molakai in March and am going to take a 7 weight rod with me and a bit of gear. Ive only ever fished for bones once in Cuba and had a blast! I'll be there for a week so I'm hoping to hook into a fish or two? I'm going to tie up some flies like Al's shrimpf for the trip, so any tips in that feild would be awesome!

Thanks in advance...Scott

Tell us about the Cuba fishing trip.

The Cuba trip was an eye opener, I was staying in Cayo Guiermo and decided to try a bone fish trip with Donyeski's guide service. I got an awesome guide named Alex and a nice flats boat, all for $285 for an eight hour day! We started in some mangrove lagoons where fish were churning up the bottom. Alex got me to cast a small crab fly right into the cloud and let it settle, almost instantly I had one on and was amazed at the fight, I thought it was comparable to a ten pound salmon, peeling line and bent for hell! Lo and behold, it was a four pound bone, I managed to catch a few more of similar size and then Alex said we should go and wade the flats for some larger fish. We ran out and anchored the boat in about three feet of water and jumped in, wading and watching towards the drop off area where the larger fish come onto the flats to feed. The wind was blowing about 20kts, hard to cast and hard to spot. Finally a pair of larger bones came along and I managed to scare them off with poor cast piling up in front of them(damit)! A permit cruised by but was spooked off before I could get my line out(damit again)! Eventually another pair of bones came along and I managed to place the fly on the bottom well ahead of them, a little twitch and one broke off and sizzled right for my fly! I had him on for about ten minutes and then he spit the hook, GONE! He might have been seven or eight pounds? Oh well, we were done for the day, but what a day! That was my only time Bonefishing and have been dreaming about going again for a few years now, looking forward to trying again, but I hear the Hawaiian bones are trickier than most? Any insight appreciated!!!

Tying up some ververka mantis shrimps, any other wise patterns to try?

looking in to the Cuba trip.
    Bob

Well worth it Bob, it was cheap and lots of fish

Been busy tying up some of my first bone flies ever. Tried some of these Merkin style crabs, hoping they look inviting?6309B188-8FF8-4100-A189-C83DD8764C67.jpg6309B188-8FF8-4100-A189-C83DD8764C67.jpg

Just trying to get the hang of this picture thing, tied up a couple of shrimp types as well, not sure what works best in Hawaii?4DD01640-7471-4859-8EAC-9B1B5C2590B4.jpg

+ Reply to Thread