+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boot Studs

Hybrid View

Default Boot Studs

I have a question about studs for wading boots. I bought some Kold Kutter screws (3/8 inch) and have put them on a pair of wading boots that had a different type of stud. The fit was perfect. I have another pair of Chota wading boots that are felt bottom with no studs. Have any of you added studs to a pair of wading boots that did not come with studs? There are no pilot holes for the screws .... just a plain, felt soled bottom. Would you pre-drill a small hole and then put in the screws. Would you abandon this idea and get some boots that have studs? Thank you.

Greg

I got a big sack of Kold Kutter's a while back. I've added them to boots with soles that had pre-drilled holes and other boots without holes. But only rubber soled boots, not felt. I've just driven them in -- without pre-drilling -- and I imagine that would work with felt too. I have noticed that some boots have softer rubber than others and with softer rubber, the screws tend to fall out during usage. With the softer rubber soles, I added a dap of Gorilla Glue to the screw threads before driving the screw into the sole which seemed to help.

Thank you John. That's just the info I needed. I also thought some type of glue would also help.

Thank you PT … I've got some shoe goo on hand. Showing the picture of your boots was helpful as well.

The only studs I will ever use are aluminum. They grip much better than steel, and when it comes to my safety I am not looking to save money. I recommend the Rock Tread studs. Just make sure you kit comes with Loctite. If you don't use the cement your studs will come off.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread