+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keeping fish hooked

Hybrid View

Default Keeping fish hooked

I am new to tenkara and just learning. To you all that have been at it awhile--Question: Do you have trouble keeping fish that you have hooked attached until you can land them? I am using barbless hooks, fishing for trout in a river. Last trip hooked 3 landed 1. I don't seem to have trouble using my graphite conventional gear using the same flies, in the same river.

Wondering if the very light tip section of my dragontail 365 is too flexable to get a hook set????? What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks Dick

I’ve went through a few spells like you when it was hard to keep fish hooked but I just kept at it and the problem was resolved. Incidentally the most trout I have ever caught in one outing was with a tenkara rod. I caught 62 in just a few hours back in 2011.

Dick -

I only used Tenkara rods for about a year. ( They are too limited in range for the rivers where I spend my time. )

But I do not recall any problem with keeping fish on to the point of landing them when using a Tenkara rig.

What you describe seems to me is not a question of "setting" the hook, but an issue of keeping adequate pressure on the fishies. I say that because I never think in terms of "setting" a hook, and routinely land fish on flies on which I have cut off the hook well behind the barb, by keeping good pressure on the fish.

The "pressure" issue may well be related to the flexible, or soft, tip of the rod you are using. Thinking in terms of pressure and how to apply it with the Tenkara rod might solve the problem ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Dick -

As a follow up to my earlier comments - it struck me that perhaps using a shorter line / leader / tippet set up might help keep more pressure on the fishies, and result in more coming to hand.

John
    The fish are always right.

My limited Tenkara experience is:.............. Borrowed an outfit, 14' ROD 18' (approx) line, leader, tippet for "pocket" fishing in the downslope trickles of the Snowy Range just West of Laramie WY. Prpbably hooked 3/4 and never one to hand. Tippet #3. These fish were in the 15"- 20" inch range and took off "spooled" ( broke off) me. Needless to explain, "spooled " is used only to illustrate that the rod/line'tippet etc. length were NO match for the escaping denizens. There was absolutely no time or equipment capability to control/ play the hooked fish. I therefore am a skeptic as to the practical use of Tenkara in the situation I experienced.

Mark

John -- Thanks for the suggestions. I have kept steady pressure on the fish and the river flow also puts tension on the rod. I will pay more attention next time I have a fish on. The last two trips to the water that I fish has resulted in no takes at all. Like I have said I am just trying my hand at tenkara and so far the fish are winning. I am using a furled 12' line and about 2 1/2' 5x leader/tippet on a 12' dragontail and barbless flies. I'll just keep trying.

"Tight lines"

When I cast out, I take up the slack and when mr. fish pays a visit, set the hook with my hand on the fly line (I'm right handed); and if addition pressure needed the rod tip will do. Setting the hook with the rod "tip" only will result in a slack line, however momentarily, just enough for the fish to get free, especially with barbless hooks.

+ Reply to Thread