+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Heck-E-Dern....two 76.5 year olds 1st time canoek....CAPSIZE!

Default Holy Heck-E-Dern....two 76.5 year olds 1st time canoek....CAPSIZE!

Yes we did. Wife and I same age within 3 weeks. Went out for the first time in our 13'-6" canoe that weighs 78 pounds....and we capsized!

Not fun. But boaf of us ok. Learned not to take out electronics. Key fob for my truck got drowned. No dry clothes to change into. No cell phone. Will take cell phone next time....in a waterproof bag....attached to the boat.....

Quiet paddling on water....sweet. Capsizing NOT!

jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 09-10-2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Glad both of you made it out safely Jim. Hope you next venture out goes well.

Mr. Qualls. Long time no see you. It is very good to see you. I have been away a long time. Thanks for the good wishes. We remain undaunted. Already planning another attempt. Uh....DO NOT STAND UP IN A CANOE. another thing I learned today.

jim

Glad you survived! I turned my kayak over on purpose to see if I could get back in. I did, but I lost my car keys . Old town offered a little pack canoe years ago and there are some still around altho they are no longer made. Wish I had one. They were very light. And what ever became with the little alum. canoe that was painted like a bark canoe and had extra flotation on top of the sides.??

I dunno what happened to those canoes you refer to Oldster. I have never been into canoes. For most of my years did not fish. Since 2004 off and on. I am thinking about a PittBoss which comes in two pieces and only 70 pounds. One piece 45 pounds the the other piece you can assemble at the water....25 pounds.

The Ultraskiff is awesome....but too big and heavy for me.

I have other boats....just do not have a favorite for ponds and lakes with no hard boat access. Plus wife wanted me to get a canoe so she can go out with me. God bless her. She is a trouper. She laughed. She did not panic and niether did I. She did not critize or complain at all. She talked about how we would learn from it...what we would do next time...and how we would do it. A wonderful partner on the water.....as well as in life in general. Gotta love it.

jim

You have a very good wife!!

Well, I've been there/done that ... more then once!

Like already posted, glad your both O.K. - Hey, maybe this will be a great laugh a little later on down the road!

What's that old canoeist/kayaker motto ..... when going out for a boat ride - "always dress to get wet."

And what ever became with the little alum. canoe that was painted like a bark canoe and had extra flotation on top of the sides.??

They are still around.
    http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/pointed_canoes.htm
    Know from first hand experience they will carry a lot of weight. (2 guys and half a moose)

Always a good idea not to stand up in a canoe, unless your dressed to go swimming.
    Car keys etc. go in a small dry bag.

As kids we used to get the bathing suits on, grab a canoe, and go gunwale bobbing,(standing on the gunwales) first one in the lake loses.

Glad to hear your first foray into canoeing turn out OK and didn't dampen your enthusiasm.

So sorry to hear of your mishap. I'm glad that you're both safe and that nothing irreplaceable was lost. I switched over to a Hobie PA kayak for the stability. Great boats, but they are rather heavy. The 17 foot PA17 sits two and you use pedals to propel it, keeping your hands free for fishing. Etc. Great boats, but pricy and HEAVY. Best of luck.

Jim

Attn: Oldster .... Like so?

+ Reply to Thread